cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When are media based catalogs NOT used?

Ross_Kennedy
Not applicable
Hi,

Even wth the "Use Media based catalog" option selected, I find there are occasions when a catalog operation is very slow as the operation insists on reading the tapes file by file when cataloging multi tape back up sets.

So why will back up exec decide not to use media based catalog?

Perhaps I am starting with the wrong tape?
Should you start with the first tape or last or does it not matter?
After searching the forum, I can see I'm not the only one who has suffered this but I can't find a resolution.

version 9.0 build 4454

Thanks
3 REPLIES 3

SANDEEP_PILLAY
Level 6
Hi,

With regards to your query, "use media based catalog" is used when the catalogs are there in the database of Backup Exec. If the catalogs are there in the database. then the catalog operation does not take much time but if the catalog is not there in the database then it takes time to read the catalogs from the tape.

When you uncheck the option "use media based catalog" the catalog operation will happen on a file to file basis so it takes a longer time to catalog the tape.

It is important to catalog a multi tape catalogs from the first tape.

We hope to have answered your query.

Thanks.

padmaja_rajopad
Level 6
Were the earlier suggestions helpful?

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be "assumed answered" and archived.

Madhuri_Shenoy
Level 6
As per our previous reply, marking the case as "assumed answered" and moving it to "answered questions" pool.