cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

changer error

Manuel_Krummena
Level 3
Hello!

I try to use an Overland LibraryXpress changer with a Quantum SDLT320 tape drive with Backup Exec 9.1 for Windows (on Windows 2003).

The devices are detected correctly, the tapes in the slots are shown up with their names.

But if I want to make a backup to a tape, delete a tape etc. the jobs runs for ca. 10 minutes, then stops with an error. In this time the changer does absolutely nothing, it doesn't even load a tape.

The error is "0xa0008212 - Wechslerfehler - Ungültige Elementadresse." (in english: "changer error - invalid element address").

I tried the drivers from Quantum, the Windows drivers and the Veritas drivers. None of them worked, now the Veritas drivers are installed (latest update).

The changer has the SCSI-ID 4, the Tape ID 5. This is correct, isn't it?

Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you for your help!
2 REPLIES 2

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

Yes, the SCSI configuration is correct.
Please follow the steps given below and verify the results.
1. Install the latest drivers. Refer the following link.
http://support.veritas.com/docs/273853
2. Upgrade the firmware.

If this does not help try the foolowing:
1. Disabled and deleted the library
2. Recycle Backup Exec services.

If this does not help then apply the following technote.
Title:
How to create a new SQL database in Backup Exec 9.x and 10.0 when the original database is corrupt and cannot be repaired
http://support.veritas.com/docs/254014

Revert with the results of each steps.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Manuel_Krummena
Level 3
Thank you for your answer!

Yesterday I deinstalled Backup Exec, rebooted and reinstalled it. After another reboot everything worked fine.

When I installed Backup Exec the first time, the SCSI-IDs were different, the tape had ID 4 and the changer ID 5. (It was working with this configuration under Solaris with a different backup software.) Then I saw in the user manual that I have to change the IDs. But it did not work until I reinstalled Backup Exec.