cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

e00084c7 - A backup storage read/write error has occurred.

KevinP1
Level 4

Good day everyone,

I am using a Backup Exec 2010 R2 with SP1 server with the de-duplication option enabled.  I have been doing disk to De-dup jobs for a little mroe than a month now.  A few days ago I started getting an odd error only on a single verify job.  So I haven't really addressed the issue yet.

The error in total is:

Backup Media Errors
Error             : e00084c7 - A backup storage read/write error has occurred.

If the storage is tape based, this is usually caused by dirty read/write heads in the tape drive.  Clean the tape drive, and then try the job again.  If the problem persists, try a different tape.  You ma
For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-33991

Now the error points, seemingly to a tape error.  But the original job was done to a de-dupe folder on a Hard Drive that is internal to the server. The same hard drive as ll my other de-dup jobs go to with no errors verify or other.

I have tried recataloging each of the de-dupe files invovled with no change.  The error happens every night. The actual backup job completes with no errors and then the verify kicks off and fails with the above error.

Any ideas on this?  I have seached all of the various returns pointed to by the link provided in the error, but because this is on a hard disk, I am not sure how to resolve. 

Again, all of my disk based backups run fine, including the one mentioned above.  All of the verifies run withotu error except the one mentioned above.

Will I need to erase all the associated edia and start with a full backup of this device all over again?

Thanks for all of you help ad any suggestions you might have.

Sincerely,

Kevin Pulford

Systems Administrator

Harmon City, Inc.

6 REPLIES 6

BoydP
Not applicable

I'm having a similar problem, although mine is with tape media. Furthermore, there is no error handling for this error which is even more frustrating. Symantec has some rather serious QA problems that is making me investigate other providers for our backup needs.

stuartluscombe
Level 2

I've also got this same issue with a few different jobs. I've raised it with support more than once and been through everything they had and nothing resolved it.

For the most part I find Symantec support to be a complete joke. I had a fairly critical issue left unsolved for nearly 3 months before finally getting an engineer in the US who solved it in 20 minutes. The Indian technicians don't seem to be trained sufficiently to resolve problems, only to tell you to run garbage collection or a support tool over and over again.

stuartluscombe
Level 2

I spoke with a support engineer about this matter today.

The error in my case is apparently being caused by having less than 20% free disk space on the drive where my dedupe folder is held. I am in a bit of disbelief about this as 20% equates to about 7TB in my case which seems like a waste of space.

Still, I'm going to try and free up what is required and see if the errors still occur.

Sacha_Brown
Level 5
Partner Accredited

I'm having the same issue but I'm not using tape. Data is going straight to Disk. This disk is an External Hard drive connected to the server. The backup will be successful every other day. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Sacha, please create a new topic for your issue and describe your setup in detail.

b_jab
Level 3

Same here and I am at less than 50% used space.  I have changed to file size of 2 Gb .  I think it was an update because it stoped working with out any changes to my setup. I have also tryed to rename folders and redirect the backup to the new folders still getting this same error.