cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

e000e020 - The job was scheduled to run, but the availability window closed before the job could start. There may not have been any destination devices available during the window, or the job may have been submitted to run when the window was closed.

Forums_User426
Level 2

Hi

I am getting the below error on our Weekly and Monthy backup jobs. Now i understand the error and i understand why. We have a large amount of servers to be backed up by one 3 tape library and 1 dedupe folder and our weekly and monthly jobs miss the 24hour scheduled time. I have been talking to symantec who pointed me to a document which just tells me how to increase the availability window. My current window is 17:00 to 16:59 (the next day) he recommended that i change this window from 17:00 to 02:00 (the following day).

Is it me or am i in fact decreasing the availability window there?!. I just want the jobs to stay in the queue and backup without me having to resubmit all of the "missed" jobs in the job monitor.

Maybe there is some rule i can place as all of our jobs are created by policies and templates.

If you need any more info please ask,

Cheers

Julian.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

What you can do is chain your jobs, i.e., submit them to run now but on hold and then use BEMCMD to trigger the next job.  See my blog on this

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/de/blogs/use-bemcmd-start-jobs

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

You can probably have a time window from 17:00 to 16:59..the maximum time window which you can specifiy is 24 hrs.

Edit @ You can configure backup jobs using policy then use the Template rules but the slection of all the job have to be the same. I mean you cannot create a rule for backup templates which have two different template .

Forums_User426
Level 2

Do you think in my case i am going to have to somehow split the jobs down so the for example 50% of the monthly jobs run on the 1st or 30th and the other 50% run on the 15th of every month?.

Ideally i would just like the backup program not to cancel my queued jobs.

Many thanks for you help.

Julian.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

You can split your jobs and that would help . but you dont need to run 50 % on 1st and the rest 50 % on 30th. the reason I would split the job if the time window of the job is more that 24hrs .So for eg if there is job which runs for more than 24hrs it would run for less than 24hrs and the other backup job continues to run instead of failing with the above error.Its just you need to schedule in such way that they all run fine ..

pkh
   VIP    Certified

What you can do is chain your jobs, i.e., submit them to run now but on hold and then use BEMCMD to trigger the next job.  See my blog on this

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/de/blogs/use-bemcmd-start-jobs

OneOfHisElect
Not applicable

I'm having a similar problem at a new job. I've used Net Backup in the past and a "window of time" (multiple days) could be used for a job to run vs a 24 hr time period with Backup Exec. Maybe I'm not smart enough to see how this "chain" works, but if all of the servers are configured in the same weekly/monthly backup policy, how does chaining work in this instance? ie: 10 servers are scheduled to backup weekly. If the start time is 11:00PM Friday - 10:50PM Saturday, but server one does not finish it's backup until 11:32PM Saturday, how do servers two-10 ever run their backup without creating multiple policies?

Thanks!

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Following phk's article, you don't use a policy.  This was the way we had to do it before policies were developed.

When using BECMD as a Post job, the following job is not initiated until the running job is about to end.  Thus the interval  between initiation and starting (when the job actually starts running) is very short, less than a minute in most cases