Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to achive these simple task in backup

roh234
Level 5
Partner Accredited

i want to achive these  with backup exec,

1 i want to take the differential backup from monday to friday in my NAS storage,

2 on saturady i will create  weekly full backup ,

now how to achive this is is need to create 5 jobs for differential and 1 job for fullbackup and 2nd thing is it possible to create full weekly backup from the exixting B2D data which is created from monday to friday,

13 REPLIES 13

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You can create two jobs. One for FULL and the other for differential backups. Schedule the differential backup job to run on monday-friday and full backup during weekend.

is it possible to create full weekly backup from the exixting B2D data which is created from monday to friday,

No.

roh234
Level 5
Partner Accredited

I have create a policy for this now how can  to apply that policy to my job,

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You have already created a policy. That means you must have a selection list associated with it (You have to select the data you want to backup in this selection list). In backup templates create a schedule for the jobs to run.

That's it. According to the schedule, BE will start the jobs. I recommend you to refer to Administrator's guide for a better understanding about backup exec options and how those works. 

yusufusmani
Level 4

The steps below is for single selection list for full and differential backup.

Before creating backup job policy we need to create media sets. in this case we will use 2 media sets and 2 B2D folders.

Creating Media set.

go to Media and right click on media sets and click on New Media Set.

- Name the media set as Weekly_full and Daily_Differential

- and define the OPP and AP

- for example weekly 4 Days as OPP and 24 Hrs as AP

Same for Daily 2 days OPP and 6 days

You need to decide the media set for retention.

In the Job Setup there are three sections Jobs, Policies and Selection Lists

1. At the first create Selection List

2. Then create a policy.

3. Within the policy create two New templates => Backup Template

4. Make the first tamplet for Full Backup. In Destination device and media select the device you want to use for full backup and Media set for full backup.

5. In General Settings at the right side select the Backup Method as Full. do select other options as required.

6. finally edit the schedule and define day of the week and time.

follow the same steps for Differential backup just select Backup method as "Differential - using archive bit".

when you finish creating templates apply the policy it will as you for selection list. use the one created for this job.

you will see two jobs will be created one for full and another one for differential.

let me know if need some more information on this.

roh234
Level 5
Partner Accredited

thanks for  the solution i have created media sets and device pool as u said i have created a policy with 2 template in which one is taking daily differential backup and other is weekly full,i can see the policy in the jobs setup,but i go to create backup jobs using wizard then i dont find any option of applying the that policy it never ask me to apply the policy which i have created in the entire wizard.

i need one more help if you can explain me the media and device option in layman language because i am alays connfuse in this right now i am using a NAS box for backup i have created a share in that share i have create a folder that folder is the destination,

t

pkh
   VIP    Certified

is it possible to create full weekly backup from the exixting B2D data which is created from monday to friday,

Yes, you can if you have the ADBO option which a paid option.  This is called synthetic backup.

roh234
Level 5
Partner Accredited

i dont have ADBO option nither can i purchase it,i think we can achive this by policy i have created it but dont no how to apply that particular policy,one more issue is there when i have created the policy at that time in the last i unchecked the option in which he is saying that create new job with this new policy,now i want to apply that particular policy.

roh234
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Waiting for your reply yusuf,

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Just right-click on the policy and you would see an option to create jobs.

roh234
Level 5
Partner Accredited

thanks i have done it,but i wil be very helpful for me if some one explain me the device and media term,

as per my knowledge storoage device contains media in which we store the data,

yusufusmani
Level 4

Sorry for the delay.. i was quite busy... Now.... Once you create policy and templates and apply the settings, look at the Jobs section, you will see two new jobs created by the policy template. You can rename it whatever you want. Creating New Job Using Wizard, creates its own policy, so the policy you created will not be displayed there, because it is a new job. when you create jobs using wizard it creates selection list, jobs and a media set accordingly. Now it should be your decision to use wizard or the steps mentioned above. Hope this help to resolve you queries. I use the steps which i have mentioned. Let me know if you need some more explanation. Regards .

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You should familiarise yourself with the Media Management section of the Admin Guide.

roh234
Level 5
Partner Accredited

thanks for the reply i have created the jobs with the policy but it is failed with the following error ,

failed with the following error: Physical Volume Library Drive not available, this is the issue which i was facing earlier also i have created a new b2d folder but still same issue if i restart my backup exec service once in a day then that issue didnot come,

V-79-57344-33036