cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to run Backup Exec 12.5 from Win XP workstation

ldfinhk
Level 2
Hello

my office have Backup Exec 12.5 license on a Windows 2003 STD Server  which i dont have Admin Rights.

is it possible to take Backups on this Server from my Win-XP workstation? possibly after installing a add-on.

9 REPLIES 9

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

Yes, we can move backup exec from 1 machine to another:

How to move Backup Exec from one system to another with the cosame or different mputer names
http://support.veritas.com/docs/319367

Please let me know if you have any issues....

ldfinhk
Level 2
thansk Dev for your comments which is much appreciated.
BUT.. my point is i do no want to move the license from Server to the Workstation.

just want to Backup a  'Shared Folder' in the Windows 2003 Servers C: into the Tape Backup through my XP Workstation.

since I donot have Admin Rights on the server though.,  i do have Share Acess Rights on this particulal folder.

for exampels \\my-Server\Public-Share$       - this i want to backup into the tape drive  through my Workstation - XP machine which should run a sort of a Backup Exec. 12.5 client - add on.

i do have a full lincese for  12.5 which is intalled on the Server.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You can install the BE Remote Console on your XP machine and then link to the BE on your Windows 2003 machine to control it.  It would be as if you are logged on to the Windows 2003 machine.

To install the BE Remote Console, use the BE install disk and follow the instructions.

ldfinhk
Level 2
thanks., is this that comes with the set of Disks that Symantec ship for the customer is Goldish color envelope ?

as i can remember there was like 4 different Disks and thsi should be in one of them ?

do i have to pay for this ? if i have to download etc?

ldfinhk
Level 2

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

You can install Backup Exec Admin console on Windows XP Machine. Put in the BE CD and install only the Admin console.

Hope this helps...

pkh
   VIP    Certified
is this the same that i have to install here?

Yes.

Dev_T
Level 6
@pkh

Dont you read the previous posts.......?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
@DevT

He is still going to need an Admin ID on the media server to connect using Remote Administration isn't he?

This is where Exec View used to come in handy.  Would let non-Admin users connect and monitor or run predefined jobs, but not create new ones or new selection lists.

@ldfinhk

You can go to the Ideas area (top menu bar)and add your voice to the thread on ExecView.  If enough people ask for it, maybe Symantec will bring back ExecView, or something similar