cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

install update not working

Brian_Blackwell
Level 5
I am trying to update the remote agent to the most current. I have ran bestop on the remote server and tried the update. all goes fine until he comes up ans says that backup exec is still running. even thoough the screen on the remote server says unloaded.

what other modules need to be stopped, I have these stopped already

beromote and bkupexec
4 REPLIES 4

EricP
Level 3
Perhaps OFO or the backup exec java console? or if that doesnt work you can always REM the bestart in the autoexec.ncf and reboot the server and then update your agent.

Eric

Brian_Blackwell
Level 5
nope, I don't use OFO. I was trying to avoid rebooting the server as it is in use daily. a reboot was not an option.

EricP
Level 3
Hmm I am not sure which other processes can be running. You can also try to start backup exec again and then see which processes it doesnt start cause they are already running. That might reveal the process thats preventing you from updating.

And if nothing else works you will have to schedule some downtime. Can always be done after hours or is it a 24/7 company?

Brian_Blackwell
Level 5
well, something was in the backupexec folder that was abending the server. it was an after hours thing and all is well. I ended up deleting the backupexec folder and copying a version from another server. of course all of this was done without bestart running.

I had been backing up this novell box from windows BE. but, in light of the very slow backups I had went back to novell backing up novell. so windows installed something that was memory resident.

all is well now :)