cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

library tape0 corrupt/damaged/broken

magicpacket
Level 3
Hi!
I use BackupExec 12.5 with all/latest Updates on Windows Server 2003 with all/latest Updates.
In recent times i get mails from the backup server with the following message(s):
"Der Wechselmediendienst kann die Bibliothek Tape0 nicht verwalten. Die Datenbank ist beschädigt." and
"Der Wechselmediendienst kann die Bibliothek Tape1 nicht verwalten. Die Datenbank ist beschädigt."
Free translated: The changer-service can not manage library tape0/1. The database is corrupt/damaged/broken.

Could anyone tell me more about the message/about the mentioned libraries?

Thanky you with the best greetings!!
25 REPLIES 25

magicpacket
Level 3
Hi!
>>>For the driver installation, get the latest drivers for BEWS 12.5 SP3 here...http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/337510.htm
Downloaded and installed the patch. Device Config Wizard did not install any new(er) drivers...

Furthermore I get the message "(Server: "ABC") Das Gerät \Device\Scsi\adpu160m1 hat innerhalb der Fehlerwartezeit nicht geantwortet." When I get this message one of the drives does not respond longer and so "the tape in it does not come out"......

By the way: Removable Storage Service is stopped and disabled - I can't say if BEWS is working more stable than before. We'll see :)

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Mmm...OK, might be time to get a hardware call logged with HP to take a look at it for you!

DominikG
Level 6
Partner Accredited
now I got the next customer with this problem...

Time to get the next support call logged at symantec.

So I belive it's not an issue caused by the hardware.

CraigV
If it's an autoloader, chances are that you have an issue with the drive itself. Had that more than a couple of times last year on various sites (in fact 9x!) and the way to fix this was to replace the drive.
The robotics would work well, but the minute the drive was called into play (either ejecting/rwriting/reading etc), the drive would go offline.

magicpacket
Level 3
Hi there,
meanwhile there is'nt a solution for the problem,
>>> The changer-service can not manage library tape0/1. The database is corrupt/damaged/broken.("Der Wechselmediendienst kann die >>>Bibliothek Tape0 nicht verwalten. Die Datenbank ist beschädigt.")
is it?

>>> (...) and the way to fix this was to replace the drive.
Sounds expensive...

Afte facing the problem again and again (like reported before :) I installed QUANTUM's driver for the library (http://www.quantum.com/ServiceandSupport/SoftwareandDocumentationDownloads/S24/Index.aspx#Drivers) although they advise you to use BE's drivers ("Note: Veritas BackupExec and Veritas NetBackup Drivers 
If you are using Veritas BackupExec or Veritas NetBackup you should use the device driver that came with your software backup package.")

Now I don't get the messeges I quoted above but now I get the following message which says that "The changer-service can not manage library changer0. The database is corrupt/damaged/broken. (Der Wechselmediendienst kann die Bibliothek Changer0 nicht verwalten. Die Datenbank ist beschädigt.)"

Backup Jobs are working fine (currently :), but the message appears again and again....

Best regards.

CraigV
Hi there,

Log the call with Symantec and get it escalated!