cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

linked job won't start if the source job is finished

anonimous
Level 4

hi

We have Symantec Backup Exec 12 Rev. 1364 installed on WIN2003 SP2 server and we habe 4 jobs generated.

1.) "Full backup 2disk" and if is finished, then is linked to another job: "Full backup on NAS"

2.) "Differential backup 2disk" and if is finished, then is linked to another job: "Differential backup on NAS"

That was working, since years without any problems, but since 2 weeks if "Full backup 2disk" job is finished, the "Full backup on NAS" doesn't start and we cannot find why.

BTW I cannot find this link settings after the job was created.

10 REPLIES 10

Keshav_Pathak
Level 2
Employee

HI,

What is the status of the lonked job which is not running? Is it sitting idle with some Alert generated waiting to be responded? Are all the target devices online? Any errors in job monitor?

Please provide some more details which could lead to isolating the issue.

Thanks,

anonimous
Level 4

The status of the linked job which is not running is: "Linked to another job".

There are no alerts generated about waiting to be responded.

All target devices are online.

There ara no errors in the job monitor.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Have you tried re-creating the jobs?  This should be easy since you are using a policy.

anonimous
Level 4

Thx, I didn't tried to recreate this job.
BTW this job was creating manually and we don't use a policy.

Has anyone an other idea?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you did not use a policy, how do you link the jobs?

anonimous
Level 4

This backup jobs were created by my colleague and he doesn't work anymore at our company.
Can you pls explain how recreate and link these jobs?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

1) Go to the Job Setup tab and locate the policy which created these jobs.

2) right-click on the policy and select delete jobs

3) right-click on the policy and then select create jobs.  You would then have to select the correct file selection list to create the jobs.

If you are not familiar with policies, then do read the Admin Guide which can be found in the BE installation directory.

anonimous
Level 4

Thx a lot, I have found just 2 policies in "Policy Name" area:

1.) Duplicate Backup Sets 00001

2.) Media Rotation 00001

BTW are they default, created automatically during a software setup?

If I do right-click on these policies and select delete jobs then I get a message:

"Unable to delete jobs. There are no selection lists associated with this policy."

Now I'd like to try without a policy, using "New job to duplicate backup" -> Duplicate backup sets following a job and will see what happens.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

When you do a manual duplicate job, it is just a one time duplication.  You would have to run another duplicate job after your next backup to duplicate that backup.

If you want to automatically duplicate your backups, then you would need to set up a policy with a backup template and a duplicate template.  You can use the Duplicate Backup Sets 00001 policy as a sample.

I would strongly recommend that you familiarise your self with the Admin Guide before proceeding further.  Otherwise, you might mess things up further.

Alternatively, get someone who is familiar with BE to help you.  At this stage, it would be very difficult for the forum users to help you.

anonimous
Level 4

Thx a lot again.

BTW I've done using "New job to duplicate backup" -> Duplicate backup sets following a job and now it seems to work well.