cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

no idle devices

bthomas311
Level 3
Hi all-

Everytime I schedule a job to it say "Ready; no idle devices are available". Of course, my tape drive is OK. Any thoughts? Thanks.
3 REPLIES 3

Travis_Hankins
Level 3
A few things you can try. Let us know if they work

Suggestion 1: 
Perform the following registry change to allow Backup Exec to use the devices:Warning: Incorrect use of the Windows Registry Editor can have disastrous results on a server operating system. Great care should be taken when making changes to a Windows Registry. Registry modifications should only be carried out by persons experienced in the use of the Registry Editor application.1.  Click Start | Run2.  In the Run window, next to Open:, type regedt323.  In the Registry Editor window, double-click HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE4.  Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, double-click SOFTWARE 5.  Under SOFTWARE, double-click VERITAS6.  Under VERITAS, double-click Backup Exec7.  Under Backup Exec, click to select Server 8.  In the right pane, double-click the LoadBalancerBehavior registry keyNote:  If the LoadBalancerBehavior key is not present, right-click in the right pane and select New.  In the New menu, click to select DWORD Value.  Type the name of the new DWORD as  LoadBalancerBehavior.9.  In the Edit DWORD Value window, under Value data:, change the value to 110. Click OK 

Suggestion 2 : 
This error could occur due to communication problem between Backup Exec server and tape device or device driver related issue. To resolve the issue, do the following:1. Go to devices tab, right click on device > properties > disable the device. Once again right click on the device and select delete to delete the device. Re-cycle Backup Exec services2. Refer the following link to download the latest device drivers for Backup Exec v10.0. 
  1. Double-click the BackupExecTapeDeviceDriverInstall.exe file. This will start the installation process.
  2. If prompted with a Hardware Installation screen from Microsoft stating this driver has not passed the Microsoft Logo testing please press "Continue Anyway". If "STOP Installation" is pressed the drivers will not be upgraded. Any concerns with this procedure can be addressed by contacting VERITAS Technical Services.
  3. Click Finish.
  4. Reboot if prompted.
  5. Loader/Library and Tape class drivers have now been updated.
3. Now run the suspected backup job and verify the result.
Suggestion 3:
If this does not help then look for Even ID: 7,9,11, and 15 in system event log to check SCSI or Hardware related issue.
We would suggest you to refer to the following suggestions to resolve this issue:1. Install Service pack1 for Backup exec v10.0 from the following link:2. Please refer to the following link to install the latest drivers:Verify the result.If above mentioned steps failed then refer next steps:3. Open Backup job properties.4. Click on Schedule and click on 'Run according to schedule'5. Under general options select 'Time window' and specify the timings according to your convenience. Also make sure that it should not interact with other jobs.

Travis_Hankins
Level 3
Also try this:

I just saw it over in the docs after I posted

bthomas311
Level 3
Thanks for help Travis. I will try tomorrow. Would I use the article you posted if I don't have an autoloader or robotic library? Thanks.