cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

overwrite protection on weekly full Backup jobs

assafm30
Level 2

Hi

My name is Assaf from Israel and I am the Sys Admin in my company .

We run the Backup exec 2012 with HP backup robot with 24 tape's.

I have problem with configure a backup job for my needs.

I have 1 full job that run ones a week on every Thursday.

I need to found the way to create this job with the fallowing configuration.

Every first, second, third Thursday a full backup job with wraith protection for 4 days.

On the last Thursday of the month I like to run the some job but in this time to tack the tape out of the loop and never overwrite on it.

Is this configuration can be configured on my software / hardware

Thanks in advance

Assaf

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Yes. Running the two jobs at the same time would ensure that the monthly job (less frequent) supercede the weekly job (more frequent)

There is no way to make the weekly only run 3 times a month.

If you specify in your monthly occurance that you want to run the job on the last Thursday of the month, then BE will run it on the last Thursday of the month.  BE will adjust the date accordingly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

pkh
   VIP    Certified

1) Create 2 media sets, one called Weekly with an OPP of 4 days and one called Monthly with an OPP of Protect Forever.

2) Create a scheduled job and create 2 full backup. One with a weekly occurance on Thursday and target this to the Weekly media set.  The other full backup will have a monthly occurance on the 4th Thursday and target the Monthly media set.  Make sure that the weekly and monthly jobs start EXACTLY at the same time so that the monthly job will supercede the weekly job on the 4th Thursday of the month.

You can also add an export stage to the monthly full backup to export the tape after the backup is done.

assafm30
Level 2

That what I'm want to do

but as i see from your reaply in the last 4th of the month the weekly and the montly job will run togeter so i need to make the fully run in the some time right?

or i can make the weekly to run only 3 times in month and so on...?

My problem is how my BACKUP to run every LAST Thursday of the month.

I'm mean every month its different day in calendar 

Siddhant_Saini
Level 6
Accredited Certified

There's a functionality in Backup Exec 2012 which does the work of superseding. A job running less frequently will supersede the other jobs which are scheduled at the same time(of course for the same server's backup strategy). 

Please refer to the following article to get more details on it: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH189291

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Yes. Running the two jobs at the same time would ensure that the monthly job (less frequent) supercede the weekly job (more frequent)

There is no way to make the weekly only run 3 times a month.

If you specify in your monthly occurance that you want to run the job on the last Thursday of the month, then BE will run it on the last Thursday of the month.  BE will adjust the date accordingly.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Thank you for confirming what I have said in my earlier reply regarding superceding jobs.

assafm30
Level 2

ok  

thanks u all  

its whose really helpfully