cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

question about differentials

aschwartz
Level 3
I am pretty new to backups in general, and I have been given control over our BE system.  I have a few questions.

For my file server, I want to use differentials, and I scheduled the backup to run every day on schedule as a diff. Do I need to schedule a seperate (saturday) Full backup, or does the diff automatically do a full once it gets too big?

And also.  We have an exchange archiver that takes like 5 hours to backup fully, its sql 2005.  Can I do diffs on that box, with sql?  What is the best practice for doing diff backupson sql?

Thanks in advance.
1 REPLY 1

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
For my file server, I want to use differentials, and I scheduled the backup to run every day on schedule as a diff. Do I need to schedule a seperate (saturday) Full backup, or does the diff automatically do a full once it gets too big? - Schedule a different (full) backup for saturday.

Can I do diffs on that box, with sql? - Yes, you can run full and dif backups against SQL databases.  Please check the Administrators Guide for the SQL agent for more details on how they work. Best practice will be the same as your file level backups, run frequent Full backups along with your diff backups.