cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

restore a database to a different server

kakagol
Level 4

Hello,

I need to restore some data from a database on to a different server.

Does the other server need SQL installed? Or can it be restore it as a file?

If it needs SQL installed, does it need the same version ?

Thank much appreciated

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

kakagol
Level 4

found it. 

Seems like it has always been there. I added the server to the device panel list using "Configure Remote Agent for Deduplication"

Thanks again for your help

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

kakagol
Level 4

I keep receiving this error:

The job failed with the following error: To restore over an existing SQL server database, ensure that the option 'Overwrite the existing database' is enabled on the Restore Job Properties.

I dont understand it, it shoudnt be enabled as I am restoring on a disk....

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

You can try duplicating the SQL backup to disk, but ideally you are looking at restoring to the same SQL server, or redirecting to another.

Thanks!

kakagol
Level 4

Thanks, 

in case I choose to redirect it to a different server, does it need to have SQL installed? Same version?

CraigV

Well, how do you redirect a SQL restore to a SQL server without SQL installed? So yes, it needs to have SQL installed, and yes, it must be the same version to rule out incompatibilities.

I'd also suggest reading the BE Admin Guide for further information on restoring SQL DBs.

Thanks!

kakagol
Level 4

I thought there could be a way to restore the DB as a file, and then restoring it to SQL using the SSMS restore config...

(I thought it was as simple as restoring a file/folder.....)

CraigV

Read below:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/restoring-sql#comment-7044881

As I mentioned, you cann't restore SQL as a flat-file like you can with Exchange (GRT backups to tape can be duplicated to disk to get the *.edb). You need SQL installed on the target server.

kakagol
Level 4

Thanks again Craig, 

I have choosen a doable server and installed same SQL version. Also installed the Backup-Exec agent. 

When launching the restore I receive the error, 

To establish a trust relationship, add the remote agent to the Favorite Resources in the backup selections tree.

?

CraigV

kakagol
Level 4

Thanks again Craig,

I have followed both 1 and 2.
1 Installed it from the server.
2 Installed it locally using RAWS install

The agent is installed on the client but it is not listed on the server, if I browse to Device tab it is not there. I have also restarted services/application/server, but no luck...

CraigV

OK, then try the following:

1. On both the media server and the remote server, run a ping -a to resolve name/IP.

2. Run an nslookup on each of these servers...

This rules out DNS issues if the don't exist.

kakagol
Level 4

both ping -a test and nslookup test are OK.

kakagol
Level 4

found it. 

Seems like it has always been there. I added the server to the device panel list using "Configure Remote Agent for Deduplication"

Thanks again for your help