cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

restore job runs slow

WikiDonor
Level 6

Hi 

1. The backup exec version is 2012 sp1a which is on Win2008R2 ENT sp1. and remote machines are 2003 and 2008 mix environment.

2. Backup has taken on Diskstorage001(on USB Disk) and which runs at 1000mb/min

3. the data is just normal data not specific to exchange sql or sharepoint or vm 

4. the restore job  to same or different remote location it runs at 170mb/min

5. I have checked my windows is copying files very fast so why does restore not running more than 170mb/min

6. checked the network card settings like duplex settings and both servers on full 

7. network card drivers are also up to date

Can anyone suggest what can be done in this situation.

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

So there is your issue...Workstation running a VM on a VM is probably what's causing the slowness. Also don't forget that it is restoring multiple files, and your restore isn't as fast when you're writing to a disk.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

CraigV

...is that a normal B2D or a dedupe folder? If dedupe, that can explain the slowness as the data is being reconstructed.

It wouldn't be related to backing up a VM using GRT as the data is being backed up to disk as the primary target.

THanks!

WikiDonor
Level 6

I am using normal Diskstorage which was called B2D in old BE version. Not using Deduplicational folder. The data is normal files. 

WikiDonor
Level 6

Hi 

my client is backing up vm on vmware workstation using remote agent within vm. the backup job is fast and flat file restore is also fast. But when I want to test Disaster recovery and I select c:\ and system sate for restore the job will run at 170mb/min. So my saying is if my data is around 300gb or something it will take take days to complete the recover on a speed of  170mb/min. 

Please help.

CraigV

...it really depends on a couple of things:

1. What OS and hardware VMware Workstation is running on (VMware Workstation being ideally used on a PC/laptop which wouldn't be as good as a server).2

2. Network speed.

3. AV possibly scanning the beremote.exe (in which case put in an exclusion).

Thanks!

WikiDonor
Level 6

Hi 

If I am redirecting any data as a flat file the restore job runs at 1.2gb/min. its only when I do a Disaster recovery by selecting system state and c:\ it runs slow at 170mb/min. If I try to restore on physical server that is also running fast. The OS is SBS2011 on vm. and vmware workstation v8.

Thanks

CraigV

So there is your issue...Workstation running a VM on a VM is probably what's causing the slowness. Also don't forget that it is restoring multiple files, and your restore isn't as fast when you're writing to a disk.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I hope you realise that VMWare Workstation is not supported.