cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

restoring volume

tgpm
Level 3
I have a 2008r2 server with a drive array split into 3 logical drives c,e,f.  My system disk (c) is running out of space.  Lots of space on e and f. Drive e has home folders for 500 users.    I have two options according to microsoft.  I can delete the drive e whic will give me space to then extend c.  Then restore e. 

Or

I can use third party software  in which case I have to convert an dynamic disk to a basic and then repartition.  I'm not sure I trust this.

If I have a full backup of everything on the server can I delete e, make my changes, then restore e along with the system state and preserve my shares?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Yes, restoring e:\ would be easily done, but restoring entire system state for shares may not be a good idea, as this may affect other components and also Windows 2008 R2 is not a fully supported OS with current release of Backup Exec. Hence, I would not recommend backup or restore of system state. Although for shares, you may consider backing up and restoring following registry key:

HKLM/system/current control set/services/lanmanserver

Please mark it a solution, if this is useful.

Thanks

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Hemant_Jain
Level 6

Yes, restoring e:\ would be easily done, but restoring entire system state for shares may not be a good idea, as this may affect other components and also Windows 2008 R2 is not a fully supported OS with current release of Backup Exec. Hence, I would not recommend backup or restore of system state. Although for shares, you may consider backing up and restoring following registry key:

HKLM/system/current control set/services/lanmanserver

Please mark it a solution, if this is useful.

Thanks

tgpm
Level 3
Thanks.  Would the reg key preserve my shares?

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
I have not tested it, but the Microsoft documentation says, yes it would. I would suggest you to go ahead with testing it with a shared folder before you implement it. To be more specific, it is the registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Shares

This needs to be expored. Here is a MS document for your reference:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=141589

Thanks