cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

server does not appears to be a valid central administration server

alinawaz
Level 5

Hi All,

I have a backup exec 2010 R2 server installed and configured as a central administration server.  I have installed backup exec 2010 on another server manually and when I select the managed server option and enter the CAS server name then I am getting error "server does not appears to be a valid central administration server".  i tried to use set central administration server option and BEUtility option but same error getting. anyone can help me.

Thanks

Agha

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

so do i need to install MMS on CASO server

No. The MMS is not installed on the CASO. This option is installed on other servers which you want to manage using the CASO server.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Make sure that you can resolve the name/IP of the CASO server to rule out a DNS issue.

Also, your versions of BE need to be the same...so BE 2010 R2. Newer versions won't work with an older version running on a CASO.

Might be worth your while to upgrade to BE 2010 R3 as it is a free upgrade and you can use your current licenses. Do this on the CASO first, then the MMS and try adding it again. Just grab copies of your Data/Catalogs folders before doing anything.

Thanks!

VJware
Level 6

When adding the CASO sever, try using netbios name & not fqdn.

If the CASO & MMS servers are in a cross-domain environ, pls ensure the following ~

- The account should have adminstrative rights across both domains.
- The account should be added to local admin group on the media servers and domain admin group in the domains.
- The Domains should have a minimum of one way trust between them.

alinawaz
Level 5

Thanks to All,

I installed BE 2010 R2 on both servers and one of them i made CASO and after CASO installed i cannot select MMS option on CASO server but i can see  Media Servers in console and i can see CASO is online. so do i need to install MMS on CASO server or it will install automatically. if i need to install MMS so why i cannot select this option.

Thanks

Agha

alinawaz
Level 5

I can ping both machines by name.

VJware
Level 6

so do i need to install MMS on CASO server

No. The MMS is not installed on the CASO. This option is installed on other servers which you want to manage using the CASO server.

alinawaz
Level 5

Ok Thanks.

So what could be the reason why i am getting this error while connecting CASO server "server does not appears to be a valid central administration server".

I am also getting below error on CASO server. any idea

'Library Expansion Option Violation. This server is licensed to support 0 tape drives in robotic libraries.' appears and the Robotic Library stops working after upgrading to Backup Exec 2010.

Thanks

Agha

CraigV

...there is NO MMS option. There is some misconcention here. You simply add/point the potential MMS to a CASO server.

Thanks!

CraigV

Check below:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH129085

Thanks!

alinawaz
Level 5

Thanks to all.

i found the drivers was installed two times and it was showing in Medium Changer and Tape drive So i removed duplicate drivers. may be thats why i was getting this error 'Library Expansion Option Violation".

Regards

Agha