cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

since backup exec does not work is there some alternative

danhoff
Level 3

A few years ago my company used backup exec (I think 11).  When it came time to recover files and data it just DID NOT WORK.

For example, in an outlook backed up mailbox I could see the emails, but only some I could recover.  For example, a user would say on Aug 11, 2009 Joe Smith sent me three emails... one was for a quote, one was for an order confirmation, and one was for a cancel of the order.  Now Joe says he did not cancel.

Well, I could SEE the emails in backup exec, but 1/3 of the time the email would not recover.  No error.  Just click on recover and nothing.  But I could click on another email and it would recover fine.

So, I abandon backup exec.  I wrote emails to Symantec support, but they were all ignored.

Now, 3 years later, I have migrated my win 2003 servers to win 2008 R2.  And since I know backup exec does not work.  And I know it is not supported (as per the ignoring of my emails).  So I need some other backup software that acutally works.

So, are  there any readers of this forum, who also know backup exec does not work, and they can recommend something that is not so expensive and not so complicated and actually works.

Cheers

Dan Hoff

PS I use endpoint protection throughout my company (60 users) and it works a treat.  But backup exec... what a dog.

15 REPLIES 15

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Well when you take a backup you should always perform test restores to make sure the backups are good. initally when Grt was introduced there were some issue and most of them are fixed in the later build.

If you run into any kind of issue you should open a support case and get to the root cause of the issue.Not sure to whom you adress the email , but you should have opened a case and advance the case if you are not able to resolve it. You can again evaulte a newer version of backup exec and see if you are able to backup and restore fine . You have use it in evaluation for 60 days.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Backup Exec 2010 R3 is pretty good. BE 2012 might be an option but you should download the trial version and play around with it as it is completely changed compared to BE 2010 R3 and everything other version.

If you're looking for suggestions on other vendors applications, then Google would be your answer.

You should be able to download them off the link below:

https://fileconnect.symantec.com

Thanks!

danhoff
Level 3

So you are saying EVERY SINGLE backup I do, I need to fully restore it and test EVERY file.

My point is more simple.  MOST of the files could be recovered, but 10% to 20% could not.  No error, just 'nothing'

I reported all to Symantec and NIL response.  NIL.

Your point is interesting though:  no backup done by backup exec can be trusted until it is fully restored and all files tested one by one.  Wow.  That is an impossible task.

Do you know any alternatives to this backup exec that simply does not work and is not supported by Symantec.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

I did not mean that you should try restore of each backup you do , but atleast once in month you should check the restore for critical data and after performing few such restore you should be confidence with the backup sets you have>

CraigV

...just a bit of history here...

When BE 11d rev. 6235 was released, GRT restores were terrible. BE 11d rev. 7170 fixed a lot of this, and every subsequent version has become better.

In my mind, BE 2010 R3 is the best of the lot and worth a look-at if you are testing...

danhoff
Level 3

well, the backup did work... MOSTLY... just not all the files

I never knew when (what parts of) a backup would work or not work

and when I highlighted this to the mob (Symantec) that I paid thousands of dollars to, I was just ignored:  I mean 100% ignored

so I am confused Symantec would  take thousands of my money, then just say 'buyer beware, we do not guarantee NOTHIN'.

So... since backup exex did not work, and I have no knowlege of it working now, why would I pay thousands such that if my servers crash my business cannot be recovered;  so I ask 'does anyone know any product that actually DOES work'

CraigV

http://www.google.co.za/ <-- please look here. Anybody who is active on the Symantec Connect (and I hightlight Symantec for a reason!!!) and who recommends a competitor product is going to get roasted.

Do the check on Google for yourself or ask for a PM from someone...you'll get no public help on finding something else unfortunately.

danhoff
Level 3

so, the product does not work

no one is allowed to recommend another

Symantec keep taking gazillions of licence fees

Symantec do not guarantee the product will work

Symantec do not attend to communication of problems

If you cannot recover using your Symantec product, it is 'bad luck' for you

But it is possible current or future products will work, so send your money (no guarantee it will work though)

Surely it is a free speak world - does ANYONE know of any product that actually works;  I do not need anything fancy;  even just a FULL BACK that can RESTORE will be fine

CraigV

...seriously, you're going according to a problem you had years ago with BE 11d (version you don't confirm you used!)...would you go recommend to someone on a VMware forum that they should consider Hyper-V as does the same thing?

You've not even considered trialing other versions...this is becoming a rant based on a couple of bad incidents a couple of years ago.

Use Google.com...there's a public forum you can use!

danhoff
Level 3

A couple of bad incidents!

I paid my money.   The product did not work.  Well it worked for 90% of emails and files.  And Symantec ignored my requests for help.

And it is something that is of 'no matter' because it happened a couple of years ago?  Ha ha.  Let me walk to the backup server that has this non reliable sofware to confirm the versioin.  Because, according to you, the problem did not happen because off the top of my head I do not know the version.

Hang on...

Backup Exec 12.5 revison 2213

Do you want my license key?

danhoff
Level 3

also, your telling me since backup exec does not work I should go to some google forum;  I paid my money;  am I not allowed to post on a Symantec forum?

CraigV

...you're free to post...just don't expect a public answer on that! Read my previous post about going to 1 software vendor and asking for competitor products.

I get it you're hacked off...so be it. The product has changed. If you don't want to evaluate newer offerings, check out something else.

I'm not taking this further...this isn't a place for online wars etc.

danhoff
Level 3

So let me be clear on this:

Symantec can take my money in license fees

I can pay over 10k (4 years ago) for a dedicate server just for backup repository

Symantec can ignore my email of three years ago begging for help

...and when I get a new sever and my vendor says 'use backup exec' I am supposed to just accept I will once again pay with no backup and no support

Let me ask you straight:  does the product WORK or NOT WORk

(I suspect you will say 'it may work, do you testing, Symantec is not reponsible for anything - except cashing your cheque as soon as they can)

danhoff
Level 3

You know if Symantec was a REAL company they would apolgise for ignoring me;  and they would say 'we will upgrade your product to the latest;  and we guarantee our product will restore your server in a DR event'

ha, ha;  do you actually think they will say that!

danhoff
Level 3

now, dare I count the minutes... the seconds... before Symantec delete  this thread.

I think in the era of USA Corporate America with accountability, truth, quality of product, care of customer is.. well.... so....  1950s.

I sure hope google will grab this thread and cache it before Symantec delete it.

Cheers

Dan Hoff