cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

single server licensing question

basilwt
Level 3

Hi There

If I have a server 2008 r2 box running hyper v - and 1 VM - which is centos 6.2 - what licensing do I need? I do not intend or need to backup the hyper v host - so I only need the media server installed on that box - is that correct? if so - will I only need 1 server license - and will that allow me to install the remote agent for linux - or will I need a remote agent license or is there another way to backup the smb share of the linux box?

I have purchases backup exec 2012 standard with support - but I am starting to think my supplier didnt advice me correctly as I need to backup a single server - but not the host.

Kind Regards

Basil

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

SuperBrain
Employee Accredited

If you have purchased a core Backup Exec 2012 license, and if you wish to backup a remote Linux box, you will need to purchase an Agent for Linux license.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH178479 - Backup Exec 2012 Licensing Guide

If you wish to contact Licensing:

Call : 1 800 327 2232 - Option 1 - Option 2

Email : licensing@symantec.com

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

SuperBrain
Employee Accredited

If you have purchased a core Backup Exec 2012 license, and if you wish to backup a remote Linux box, you will need to purchase an Agent for Linux license.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH178479 - Backup Exec 2012 Licensing Guide

If you wish to contact Licensing:

Call : 1 800 327 2232 - Option 1 - Option 2

Email : licensing@symantec.com

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

I doubt CentOS is supported by Backup Exec as it does not appear in the SCL

Refer to BE2012 SCL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH175581

basilwt
Level 3

Thanks, I will check that guide out. I am not sure what license I have now, as I dont see anything related to "core"?

this is what it says on the email I got from symantec

SYMC BUE 2012 SRVR WIN SRVR

BNDL STD LIC EXP BND S BASIC 12M

and

SYMC BACKUP EXEC 2012 SERVER WIN PER

SERVER BNDL STD LIC EXPRESS BAND S

BASIC 12 MONTHS

As far as not supporting Centos, if it supports RHEL, then it will work -  its the same base as far as I know.

looks like I'll need the remote agent then,

Thanks for the feedback.

Kind Regards

Basil

AmolB

SYMC BUE 2012 SRVR WIN SRVR

BNDL STD LIC EXP BND S BASIC 12M

and

SYMC BACKUP EXEC 2012 SERVER WIN PER

SERVER BNDL STD LIC EXPRESS BAND S

BASIC 12 MONTHS

I am not 100% positive but above must be the core product license (media server only) and 1 year

maintenance. So as suggested earlier may you ring the licensing team to confirm about your current

licenses.

As far as not supporting Centos, if it supports RHEL, then it will work -  its the same base as far as I know

Symantec will not provide you support if the OS is not listed in the compatibility list.

basilwt
Level 3

Cool - I will give the sales guy I bought the lic from a shout - as I am in South Africa so I want to avoid calling at first - but it sounds like I have a media server license only. Ive been using backup exec since version 9 at different clients - and even back in the day - "although then it was bought with a dell server and came with a whole lot of agents and extras - I was backing up centos 4 at that stage I think.

I'm not too worried about support - just as long as the remote agent will work with centos 6.2

The SCL list states its fine with RHEL 6 release 2 - so technically will it work? I assume things are still the same as they are now - and that Centos is just RHEL stripped of branding etc - but still the same code?

AmolB

Code may be the same on the OS side but over the years Backup Exec code has changed.

If you feel code is the same than give a try, Linux\Unix installables are available in the BE

media. You may evaulate the Agent for linux.

Refer to below article for more details about installation. 

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH46461

basilwt
Level 3

Ah, great, I will def try it out first then - just to be sure. Yeah - 2012 is so different to 2010 - I'm still not sure if I like it. looks too, not sure how ot explain it - too much GUI.

Anyway - prob just need to get used to it.

Thanks again for your prompt replies..