cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tool for monitoring file changes?!

C_B_3
Not applicable
Hello all!

I am searching for a program/tool, that monitors all files that have been changed a day, so I'll be able to see the size of the future daily backup job.

Background: The backup job will start in a branch office over a vpn with small bandwidth and I don't know how big will be the average size of the daily backup.

When it will be possible which programm will be the best 'Veritas Replication Exec' or 'Veritas Storage Exec' ?

Thanks in advance!

Cas
2 REPLIES 2

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
A few things that might help you:
If you are considering doing the nightly backup over the VPN, then for any file which changes, you will be transferring the whole file over the VPN. The speed of the VPN will probably be the limiting factor of your backup speed.

A simple way to gauge the size of modified files might be to use Windows Search just to look for files modified in the last day, then select all and properties.

An alternative method might be to replicate the data at your branch office to the main office. This can be done using Replication Exec. This will only transfer the changed portion of any modified files, and the backup takes place on the replica copy at the main site, which will probably be faster.
You can gauge the amount of change data that will be transferred using Volume Replicator Advisor. Though this is designed as a tool to help you with Volume Replicator, it will let you see how much data changes, and when.
See http://www.veritas.com/van/misc/vvr_advisor.jsp

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hello,

Could you please update us on the issue? Please let us know if you have any further queries!

Thanks!