Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unknown media with new PV132T library

Christopher_L3
Level 2
Hi, hope someone can help.

I have a brand-new DELL PV132T (LTO-2).

When I try to Import the tapes, it ejects each from the "portal" at the end of the drive and then asks for them back in sequence.

Each tape is scanned for its barcode and put back in the magazine.

In Devices however, the slots show "unknown media" and Inventory jobs fail with a message saying an unsupported format was found in the drive.

Does anyone have any experience with this library that can give me some troubleshooting tips? Is it bad tapes or more likely a driver issue?
3 REPLIES 3

Ryan_Russell
Level 3
If you haven't already, download the most recent tape drivers from Veritas. Run tapeinst.exe from the Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT folder to make sure they are installed properly. Reboot once the drivers are installed. When the server comes back up, check the driver version and date in the properties of each drive in Device Manager to make sure they match. Try the inventory again at that point.

Also make sure that the Removable Storage service is stopped and disabled.

Is your new PV-132T fibre or SCSI-attached?

Christopher_L3
Level 2
Hi Ryan

I think I may have sorted this - the "Enable barcode rules" checkbox was on but there are no barcode rules in the system. The inventory now works.

Thanks for replying. I will post again if there are any further issues, and I will keep your comments for future troubleshooting.

Regards

Chris Latham

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

Thank you for the update. This post will be archived.

Regards