cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 10D Cluster Environment - Job fails when resources are moved.

PAUL_LEWIS_2
Level 2
Hi all,

Please note that this is the first time i have posted a thread here so i may not be as descriptive or use the lingo that other people do on here, but i will try...

We are currently implementing a 3 node exchange cluster with BE 10d installed on all 3 nodes, when BE runs on the first node it backs up fine every time, but half way though the backup, if i move the cluster resources for Backup Exec to node 2 or 3 the job is cancelled and will not resume. Does anyone have any light they can shed on this as i understood that BE will pause on the current file that it is backing up when the resources are moved, then once they are online the backup job will continue.

Thanks

Paul

I have also posted this is the 10.x forum too...
1 REPLY 1

Volker_Deleted
Level 3
Don't know what cluster software you are using, but in most cases the cluster software, when asked to move a service to another node, will try to bring the service down gently, then with increasing force, until it succeeds.
If a backup is running while you switch the service, then the backup server will see the client essentially shutting down the connection (it connects to the virtualized IP address, which is offlined during the cluster switch). So from the point of view of the backup server it makes at least reasonable sense to assume the client shut down the connection intentionally and to consider the backup done.
Accordingly, it will not retry when the "client" (the virtual IP) comes back online.
NetBackup does the same, BTW.