cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Node hangs after reboot (with I/O fencing configured)

Assaf_Leibovitc
Level 4
HI all,

I have 2 nodes congifured with I/O fencing, Oracle RAC configuration.

the 2 nodes were taken down, node A started.

It printed to console:

LLT INFO V-14-1-10009 LLT Protocol available
GAB INFO V-15-1-20021 GAB available
LMX Multiplexor available

and stopped its boot process , seems to be hang...

I've tried going into single mode state, clearing the vxfen keys with vxfenclearpre and reboot, still not good...
the vxfendg and vxfenmode are ok, the vxfencing disk group is configured and deported, disks are available.

Only after starting llt , gab and vxfen manually on one node in single user mode and returning to multi-user mode, the cluster went up ok.
after VCS was up I booted node B.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Message Edited by Assaf Leibovitch on 04-15-200708:25 AM

4 REPLIES 4

Gene_Henriksen
Level 6
Accredited Certified
Unfortunately, I am not one of the RAC/VCS instructors, I go for GCO instead. For the benefit of others trying to resolve this for you could you state two items: 1) Version of Solaris (9,10, etc) 2) Version of RAC (9i, 10g).

If you cannot get a satisfactory answer here, please contact support.

Assaf_Leibovitc
Level 4
Hi,

we're using Solaris 10 11/06 with Oracle 10g.

This issue seems to be related to the I/O fencing activation / locking features before Oracle is even started.

Assaf

Assaf_Leibovitc
Level 4
One more issue I have is that I get my primary node hang after the second reboot during root disk encapsulation.

same state as in my first post, it just hangs there as there's a lock or something else that prevents it from continue its boot.

Gene_Henriksen
Level 6
Accredited Certified
Your question should be directed to a forum on Volume Manager or Storage Foundation.

As far as hanging on boot (first question), are you sure it is IO Fencing? I have never seen this happen in an io fence cluster (no RAC). The vxfen process simply tries to register with gab and see which keys are on the fendg. If it doesn't see the correct keys, then VCS will not start. The OS will normally come up, but VCS cannot start.

Can you tell from boot messages in the logs how far the system is getting in the boot process? I have not played with Solaris 10 enough to know how to get it to display messages as it boots.

Since you have two problems that show themselves in the same way the problem is not where you are looking.