cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SFWHA 4.3, Exchange, NBU 6 SAN Media Server

Apollo_Boy
Level 2
Greetings all:

Am working to configure a 2 node Active/Passive Exchange Cluster with an NBU 6 SAN Media Server.

Right now (per setup guide), we have two seperate Virtual Server Names; one for Exchange & one for NBU.

(Each Virtual Server Name has it's own unique IP Address)

Each application is in it's own resource group.

One of the requirements for running an NBU SAN Media Server is that the Media Server Name & the Application server name have to match or NBU thinks it's backing up another client and errors out with a licensing error. (A SAN Media Server can only back up itself and no external clients; this is part of the NBU SAN Media Server license restrictions).

Is there anyway to have both resource groups refer back to the SAME virtual server name (an IP Address)?

I know there's a proxy resource, but I belive that's used to have multiple resource groups point to the same NIC).

Any thoughts or feedback would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Daryl Katauskas
Incentra Solutions Midwest
1 REPLY 1

Gene_Henriksen
Level 6
Accredited Certified
I am by no means an NBU knowledgable person. I do know VCS rather well. Here is a suggestion.

If both use the same vritual IP and virtual name, then they must run on the same server. Create a Service Group for Lanman (Lanman, IP and NIC). Then have service Groups for Exchange and NBU. The NBU and Exchange SGs would depend on the Lanman SG with an online local hard relationship. My only concern is that is Exchange faulted and tried to failover (which should take Lanman down beacuse of the link), would NBU come down.

This could be tested quickly and simply using 3 SGs with a single resource in each consisting of a FileOnOff resource with Pathname set to "C:\NBU", "C:\Exch", "C:Lan" with the linkage of online local hard between NBU and Lanman and the same with Exchange and Lanman, then remove either the C:\Exch or C:\NBU file and watch the result.

Another solution would be to combine all the resources into a single SG since they all have to be together.