Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Server cloning

kwakou
Level 4

Dear Gurus,

what is the best approach for the following :

I have oracle database server running under VCS with CVM. I want to quicly clone it for testing purpose.

My OS is AIX so i already cloned the root vg; but how can i get the veritas volumes so that i can start the test server with a working configuration of the cluster ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified

Hi,

There will be couple of more considerations from VCS point of view..

Every VCS cluster is allocated with a unique cluster ID, you can see that in  /etc/llttab file. On a network you must have unique cluster ID. So if you clone rootvg trying to get a new cluster setup, make sure you modify the cluster ID to a unique ID in order for members to identify the cluster ID. If your cloned cluster have 2 nodes, you should modify the file in both the nodes.

Same thing for NIC cards, make sure that same NIC cards are used in source & target server, if source server has en0 or en1 configured for LLT, same should be case for target server as well, you would need to modify it otherwise.

If your target env is 1 node only, then you will need to modify /etc/gabtab or will need to force seed GAB to start on a single node. You may need to start HAD on single node using "hastart -onenode" for cluster to understand its only 1 node cluster.

I would recommend to disable IOFencing if in use before making clone. IOFencing keys may cause issues.

Other than above, what Doug pasted above is valueble reading material.

G

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Doug_Snyder
Level 3
Partner

Hello Kwakou,

If you have the "Enterprise" version of Storage Foundation or InfoScale Storage or InfoScale Enterprise you can follow the cloning instructions in this article.

http://www.veritas.com/docs/000068273

There are also several other useful links for Oracle database management with Veritas.

Doug Snyder, CISSP

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified

Hi,

There will be couple of more considerations from VCS point of view..

Every VCS cluster is allocated with a unique cluster ID, you can see that in  /etc/llttab file. On a network you must have unique cluster ID. So if you clone rootvg trying to get a new cluster setup, make sure you modify the cluster ID to a unique ID in order for members to identify the cluster ID. If your cloned cluster have 2 nodes, you should modify the file in both the nodes.

Same thing for NIC cards, make sure that same NIC cards are used in source & target server, if source server has en0 or en1 configured for LLT, same should be case for target server as well, you would need to modify it otherwise.

If your target env is 1 node only, then you will need to modify /etc/gabtab or will need to force seed GAB to start on a single node. You may need to start HAD on single node using "hastart -onenode" for cluster to understand its only 1 node cluster.

I would recommend to disable IOFencing if in use before making clone. IOFencing keys may cause issues.

Other than above, what Doug pasted above is valueble reading material.

G

kwakou
Level 4

Dear Gaurav & Doug,

thank you for your valuable support.

Let me go through your documentation and advices and revert today.