Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VCS on Windows and Red Hat

_14
Level 2
Partner Accredited

Hi All,

I am facing a new challenge with Veritas Cluster Server. In the past I only use VCS on Solaris boxes and for a new project I have to design a HA solution for Red Hat and Windows Hosts. Those hosts are mostly virtualized (40:60 P/V) and are dispatched in 4 Countries...

I don't know which product or options I should use (VCS / VCS for VMware / Cluster One)...

Any advices to start would be great.

Best Regards !

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

As Wally says you can run VCS inside the virtual host, so here for exampe you would have Vitrual Host A and B and host A would be running App and host B just has O/S running.  If Host A or App fails, the App is started on host B.  This I am sure you are all familar with if you have run VCS in Solaris

You can run VCS in the hypervisor - VMWare ESX (which is essentially Linux).  Here, for the example above, you only have Host A running App and if Host A or App fails, the whole virtual machine fails over to another PHYSICAL host.  There is a slight advantage here with less overhead as you have CPU and MEM for one O/S + App, but for VCS running in hosts you have CPU and MEM for 2 Operating systems.  Also you only have licence for VCS on physical ESX host and you can run as many virtual machine as you want as oppose to having to licence each virtual host for VCS. But it takes longer to failover as you have to start O/S + App as oppose to just App.  Note VCS for ESX does monitor the applications and this is how it differs from VMWare clusters as VCS will fail virtual machine over if app fails whereas VMWare will be unaware app has failed.  Also VCS for VMware supports VMotion, but Vmotion is not supported for VCS running inside virtual machines.

For both of these solutions there is no "master" node  - each node can take decisions by communicating with other nodes over the private cluster network.  For VCS One there is a dedicated decision maker and this is a 2-node cluster called the Policy Master that JUST takes failover decisions for up to 256 nodes in a "farm".  The nodes in the farm can be windows, linux or UNIX and you can set-up dependencies (like start DB on UNIX first and then start App on Linux and then web tier on Windows).  The Policy Master communicate to the nodes in the farm via public network.  You can also do better load balancing with VCS One than VCS if you run multiple apps on each server.

Mike

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi @lex,

You need to provide more details on what you are needing to accomplish. 

From the sounds of it you want to run the clusting on the physical/virtual hosts running Windows and Linux. 

For Windows:

SFW-HA or VCS for Windows products will work on either physical or virtual Windows servers.  SFW-HA has Storage Foundations for Windows for volume management where VCS for Windows does not.

I specicalize in the Windows platform so my answer for the Linux/Unix side is going to be a little generalized.  But for Linux:

SF-HA or VCS for Linux products should work.  I think either will work on physical or virtual Linux servers.  SF-HA has Storage Foundations for volume management where VCS for Linux does not.

The products basically work same regardless of the platform that they are used on.  There are some minor differences based on OS specific stuff but if you know one you will be able to work with the other without too much trouble.

Thanks,

Wally

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

As Wally says you can run VCS inside the virtual host, so here for exampe you would have Vitrual Host A and B and host A would be running App and host B just has O/S running.  If Host A or App fails, the App is started on host B.  This I am sure you are all familar with if you have run VCS in Solaris

You can run VCS in the hypervisor - VMWare ESX (which is essentially Linux).  Here, for the example above, you only have Host A running App and if Host A or App fails, the whole virtual machine fails over to another PHYSICAL host.  There is a slight advantage here with less overhead as you have CPU and MEM for one O/S + App, but for VCS running in hosts you have CPU and MEM for 2 Operating systems.  Also you only have licence for VCS on physical ESX host and you can run as many virtual machine as you want as oppose to having to licence each virtual host for VCS. But it takes longer to failover as you have to start O/S + App as oppose to just App.  Note VCS for ESX does monitor the applications and this is how it differs from VMWare clusters as VCS will fail virtual machine over if app fails whereas VMWare will be unaware app has failed.  Also VCS for VMware supports VMotion, but Vmotion is not supported for VCS running inside virtual machines.

For both of these solutions there is no "master" node  - each node can take decisions by communicating with other nodes over the private cluster network.  For VCS One there is a dedicated decision maker and this is a 2-node cluster called the Policy Master that JUST takes failover decisions for up to 256 nodes in a "farm".  The nodes in the farm can be windows, linux or UNIX and you can set-up dependencies (like start DB on UNIX first and then start App on Linux and then web tier on Windows).  The Policy Master communicate to the nodes in the farm via public network.  You can also do better load balancing with VCS One than VCS if you run multiple apps on each server.

Mike

_14
Level 2
Partner Accredited

Great ! Thanks for your support !

It's helped me a lot !