cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vxdg import and volume

li
Not applicable

I use "vxdg deport testdg" on one server.

Then I use "vxdg import testdg" on another server.

I found all the volumes are disabled after the import.

Is there any option in vxdg that makes the volumes enabled

after import?

Another question, how the system knows which disk has the testdg

if I didn't specify the disk I want to import?

1 REPLY 1

Ed_Cook
Level 3
Employee Certified

1.) use "vxdg deport testdg" on one server. Then I use "vxdg import testdg" on another server. I found all the volumes are disabled after the import  Is there any option in vxdg that makes the volumes enabled after import?

What you are seeing is normal behavior when importing/deporting a diskgroup. Unfortunately, there is no switch that would enable the volumes during import. Once the diskgroup is imported, the volumes would need to be started using vxvol -g <dg> start <volume>.

2.) Another question, how the system knows which disk has the testdg if I didn't specify the disk I want to import?

Each drive has a private region that contains the configuration information for the diskgroup it is associated with. During boot, Veritas will scan each drive that it has access to and if it finds a private region, it will load that information. If the host does not own the diskgroup, it will not be imported on boot but the system will be aware of the diskgroup. The system will also scan for any new devices if vxdctl enable is used.

You can view both imported and deported diskgroups on a system using "vxdisk -o alldgs list" the deported diskgroups will be in parentheses.

DEVICE       TYPE            DISK         GROUP        STATUS

c0t0d0s2     auto:none       -            -            online invalid

c2t0d0s2     auto:simple     -            -            online

c2t0d1s2     auto:simple     -            -            online

c2t0d2s2     auto:simple     -            -            online

c2t0d3s2     auto:cdsdisk    disk02       datadg       online

c2t0d4s2     auto:cdsdisk    -            (datadg2)    online

c2t0d5s2     auto:cdsdisk    disk01       datadg       online

c2t0d6s2     auto:cdsdisk    -            (datadg2)    online

You did not mention but I assume you will be using Veritas Cluster to manage the volumes. You will notice when building the service group it requires both DiskGroup and Volume resources. The DiskGroup agent performs the import and the Volume agent will start the volume when the resource group is brought online. This will ensure that the diskgroup is imported and the volume is in an ENABLED ACTIVE state.

Ed Cook