cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discovery Accelerator - Export MessageID, InternetMessageID, ThreadID or MD5Hash with PST

jwilde
Level 2

Hello to everyone,
I'm looking for some assistance or suggestions, I have a client that is using Enterprise Vault to perform eDiscovery; they're then exporting to pst the emails they've collected and sending them to us. From reading a little bit in the reviewers guide, it looks like they're using the production export and assigning each email an ExportID which they want to reference in talking about emails that they've sent us. The issue is that we don't have a good way to import the PSTs into our eDiscovery tool for processing and producing the document. Is there anyway to export the MessageID, InternetMessageID, ThreadID or MD5Hash with the PST during production so that we can import this as metadata into our eDiscovery tool?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Jacob

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
 The vault ID and Saveset ID is generated by EV this can be found in the result file created by DA.

The export report file that is generated by DA holds the DA Item ID, Export Status, Mark (if one is assigned in DA), Author, Subject, Content (normally blank for emails), Attachements (number), Mail Date, Date modified, Origional location (Inbox), Policy Action (if applied), Direction (External Inbound, internal, internal outbound), SavesetID, VaultID

During the export the email that is exported as a .msg is given the itemid.msg name. I believe it is maintained the same way in the PST file but i may be wrong on that one

There is no way to include the items you requested in the export.txt files that i'm aware of. EV stores some of this info. EV stores all the meta data in altavista indexes which is what is queried when someone does a search. When an item is being retrieved from the archive by DA, da uses the saveset ID of the item then looks that saveset up in SQL and finds it's location the extracts the item out to it's origional .msg then DA rolls the msg files up into .PST files if you want. You do have the option to not roll them into PST files. If you shoose this then the name of the .MSG files will be the ITEMID. Maybe this is one way for the customer to present the item to you? That way you can identify the itemID from the name of the .msg file as your reference

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Liam_Finn1
Level 6

What discovery tool are you using? Is it concordance or somthing like that

Discovery Accelerator does have an option to export direct to certain discovery tools used by lawyers

jwilde
Level 2
We're using LAW PreDiscovery, and because we want to retain as much metadata as possible we would like to get the emails in a PST. But if we can get a concordance DAT file or Summation DII, even just a csv or delimited text file in addition to the PST would be great.

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
 Your client can export the items to PST if they are using Discovery Accelerator it is a default option and it exports the data in the original format so chain of custody is maintained. . I have many clients that do it all the time. If you can import a PST file

DA exports each message as a .msg the rolls them up into PST files. Each one is numbered and an export file is created showing what is where. This maintains all the meta-data for every email. This is the point of DA, to not change the item from it's original

All the law firms my customers use all accept the export from DA and it sounds like the PST solution is what you want

jwilde
Level 2
Yes, we want the PST, but we also want to import the Export ID/ItemID in because our client wants to use this to reference emails when giving us instructions on what to do with a particular email. While we've figured out that the this data is viewable in outlook and is included in the export summary/reports, LAW PreDiscovery will not pull in this data when importing the PST. Is there a way to include the MessageID, InternetMessageID, ThreadID or MD5Hash in the reports (html, txt or xml) that are generated upon export? I have to believe that DA stores or pulls that information from the emails.

I'm also trying to figure out how the Vault ID and Saveset ID are generated, is this something that is setup and random? or is it based off some other email metadata?

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
 The vault ID and Saveset ID is generated by EV this can be found in the result file created by DA.

The export report file that is generated by DA holds the DA Item ID, Export Status, Mark (if one is assigned in DA), Author, Subject, Content (normally blank for emails), Attachements (number), Mail Date, Date modified, Origional location (Inbox), Policy Action (if applied), Direction (External Inbound, internal, internal outbound), SavesetID, VaultID

During the export the email that is exported as a .msg is given the itemid.msg name. I believe it is maintained the same way in the PST file but i may be wrong on that one

There is no way to include the items you requested in the export.txt files that i'm aware of. EV stores some of this info. EV stores all the meta data in altavista indexes which is what is queried when someone does a search. When an item is being retrieved from the archive by DA, da uses the saveset ID of the item then looks that saveset up in SQL and finds it's location the extracts the item out to it's origional .msg then DA rolls the msg files up into .PST files if you want. You do have the option to not roll them into PST files. If you shoose this then the name of the .MSG files will be the ITEMID. Maybe this is one way for the customer to present the item to you? That way you can identify the itemID from the name of the .msg file as your reference

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Hi there

Do you need more info on this subject?
If not, could you mark a Post that suits as a Solution?

Thanks & Cheers
Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

Redsnake
Level 2
What if I want to export to Catalyst tool. Does Discovery Accelerator export to a format understood by Catalyst?