Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dmp 5.1SP1PR2 installation prevents RHEL 6.4 server to boot

uvahpux
Level 4
Partner

Hello All,

The dmp 5.1SP1PR2  installation is completing but it unable to start it. getting follwing error

Veritas Dynamic Multi-Pathing Startup did not complete successfully

vxdmp failed to start on ddci-oml1
vxio failed to start on ddci-oml1
vxspec failed to start on ddci-oml1
vxconfigd failed to start on ddci-oml1
vxesd failed to start on ddci-oml1

It is strongly recommended to reboot the following systems:
        ddci-oml1

Execute '/sbin/shutdown -r now' to properly restart your systems

After reboot, run the '/opt/VRTS/install/installdmp -start' command to start Veritas Dynamic Multi-Pathing

installdmp log files, summary file, and response file are saved at:

after reboot also it is not starting. i installed sfha-rhel6_x86_64-5.1SP1PR2RP4 rolloing patch and took a reboot, the server is stuck to start during the boot process. i am seeing the error messages from the console as below

vxvm:vxconfigd: V-5-1-7840 cannot open /dev/vs/config: Device is already open 

ln: creating symbolic link '/dev/vx/rdmp/dmp'file exits

/bin/mknod/ '/dev/vx/config': File exits

Loading vxdmp module

Loading vxio module

Loading vxspec module

the server is stuck at here also i cannot take it to single user mode for trouble shooting.

Kindly help me on this issue.

Thanks and regards

Uv

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified

Can you attach the install logs ? Was there any other error during installation ? Is it only the DMP installation or you are installing whole SF ? Did you do a rom --verify & confirm if package is installed without errors ?

Try booting from CD/network in single user mode, Try to create a file (/etc/vx/reconfig.d/state.d/install-db), this file will make sure that vxvm doesn't start during boot time. Once system is booted

paste below

# cat /etc/system

Try starting vxconfigd manually here

# vxiod set 10
# vxconfigd -m disable
# vxdctl init <hostname>

# vxdctl enable

Let us know if you are able to start vxconfigd manually.

In the mean time, something worth to look in

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO79855

G

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified

Can you attach the install logs ? Was there any other error during installation ? Is it only the DMP installation or you are installing whole SF ? Did you do a rom --verify & confirm if package is installed without errors ?

Try booting from CD/network in single user mode, Try to create a file (/etc/vx/reconfig.d/state.d/install-db), this file will make sure that vxvm doesn't start during boot time. Once system is booted

paste below

# cat /etc/system

Try starting vxconfigd manually here

# vxiod set 10
# vxconfigd -m disable
# vxdctl init <hostname>

# vxdctl enable

Let us know if you are able to start vxconfigd manually.

In the mean time, something worth to look in

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO79855

G

uvahpux
Level 4
Partner

Hi Gauvrav,

Thanks for the reply, I have managed to bring the server online.

I need to install dmp alone as i will be using the LVM for disk management along with vcs,  so i installed DMP 5.1_SP1_RP2_RHEL6.x and took a reboot of the server. after reboot I updated the sfha rhel6_x86_64-5.1SP1PR2RP4 patches and did the vxdmpadm settune dmp_native_support=off.

the server is coming online without issues, could you please tell me the parameter should be set on or it can be off, As i am not going to use VxVM.

Please advise.

Thanks and regards

Uv

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified

dmp_native_support determines whether DMP will do multi-pathing for native devices.
ideally the tunable should be set to on to have DMP do multi-pathing for native devices.

After turning the tunable to off, are you able to get multipathing between luns ? Are you able to see paths & run a vxdmpadm stat & see if all paths are getting utilized.

G