cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

0kb Placeholder - Cannot Extract File

Anthony_Phillip
Level 3
Getting Error Event ID 20491, unable to access Archived File. Have a support call open with Symantec, they are advising me to turn of Kaspersky on our Corporate File Server! This application worked before when Kaspersky was active. I cannot do that due to business security.
Anybody got any ideas on how to get the place holders back/links working?

Error an Internal Error Occured on the Web Server
19 REPLIES 19

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
Hi,

I'm guessing they want you to disable AV just to confirm it's not involved at all. Not as a permanent measure.

What's the full error?
What version of EV?

Did it previously used to work?

Tremaine
Level 6
Employee Certified
If you user the windows fsutil command (fsutil reparsepoint query ) does it come back with any information or is the file genuinely 0Bytes.

Have you set the FSA regkey for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\KVS\Enterprise Vault\FSA\PlaceholderService\FileSizeEmulation=0 at all on the file server? If so maybe set it 1 and restart the placeholder service.

Cheers

Adrian_Lowrance
Level 4
I ran into a similar problem where files that had been archived would not open. If I restarted the file placeholder service I was able to access the files again. I was able to resolve this problem with tech support's help. We are running Symantec Corp edition for our anti-virus. We added a registry key to exclude the rtvscan.exe which SAV uses. We added the rtvscan.exe in the following path in the registry, Hkey_local_machine\software\kvs\enterprise vault\fsa\placeholderservice and modified the ExcludedExes key.

I am not sure what executable you would add for Kaspersky, but it resolved my issue of archived files not being able to be accessed. At first tech Support had me to change the FileSizeEmulation key to 0 but that didnt help. I changed that key back to a value of 1 so that the size of the file would show up to end users. I havent had any problem since modifying the excludedexes.

Anthony_Phillip
Level 3
This is the full Error that we are getting, we are using EV5 SP5.

Error downloading file: \\?\S:\Shares\Documents\Horizontal Sonus Logo.bmp, Url: http://sonusvault1/EnterpriseVault/download.asp?VaultID=16B8C90C80B2438488D9817A1E9C979BB1110000sonusvault1&SavesetId=379921000000000~199803161412240000~0~361C7ADF50FA4FBF969151D155DC4B9&Request=NativeItem
Error An internal error occurred on the web server

Anthony_Phillip
Level 3
Yes, it does come back with some information!

The actual size reporting is not so much of an issues as i understand that you can turn on/off the reporting via the FileEmulation Registry Key. The anomally is that even with it set to 0 or 1 the files are still irritrevable, yet when you go into the Archive Explorer in the Web Browser the Files are there and you can access them, but not through the files server placeholder icons on the file server?

Anthony_Phillip
Level 3
I have already been through there tech support and excluded the Kaspersky .exe under the reg key. We had a similar access issues a while back to do with Security Settings under IE on Server 2003, where by as the vaultadmin user you had to allow the vault server name as a "trustec site" otherwise the placeholder service did not work!

I have been smacking my head against the wall with this for 3 weeks, we have over 97,000 items archived, most of which the users cannot access. The only point in my favour is that this data is over 5 years old, so is rarely accessed. We recreated a test folder with new policies from scratch (Excluded from Kasperskys scans) and within one day of archiving all but "1" of the .pdf files was irritrevable!

Tremaine
Level 6
Employee Certified
Couple of other things to check.
On the EV server:
Ensure that Integrated Windows Authentication is set on the Enterprise Vault virtual directory in IIS.

On the File server - Log on with the EV Service account.
Make sure that the EVServer -Alias / FQDN / NetbiosName has been added to IE Local Intranet Trusted Sites. Also set the security in IE to 'Medum-low' for the intranet site.

Let us know if that pans out.

Cheers

Anthony_Phillip
Level 3
Windows Authentication is set on the Enterprise Vault, although I noticed that the Domain was not set under one of the servers.

On the File Server as the "Vault Admin" Account, we have all the Address, Names / Aliases /FQDN set, this was an issue, that I mentioned before, when we could not access the data last time! All the data is is under the archive explorer, symantec are pretty keen on blaming placeholder corruption on kaspersky! I am now in touch with their "3rd" Line support team. I will advise them of my findings and keep you posted!

Tremaine
Level 6
Employee Certified
So what happens if you run the windows fsutil command (fsutil reparsepoint query ) does it come back with any information or is the file genuinely 0Bytes. ?

Anthony_Phillip
Level 3
With Archive Explorer we pulled all the files back. I setup a test environment with Kaspersky Disabled, and re-archived the data again. It appears to have archived with no corruption on the placeholders! So far so good!

Now to find a way to get Kaspersky to "Exclude" off-line files!

Alain_Deroy
Level 3
Hello,

we have a similar problem. Although file-size is reflected fine on the fileserver, when trying to retrieve a file, the 20491 error is logged. When I search the vault from the admin console, the files are found but when attempting to retrieve them, we get the error "The requested item is no longer in the vault".
We're running EV6+SP1 on W2K3SP1.

Ay ideas?

Thanks.

Anthony_Phillip
Level 3
How are you trying to retrieve the files, through the File Server Links or via the Archive Explorer Web Interface.
Also what Virus Scanning Software do you have running. And have you:

Run a Synchronisation recentley.
Stopped and Re-started the Placeholder Service.
Changed Vault Admin Account Password Recently.
Has this worked before and then failed, or has is never worked?
Can you restore data back, via the Archive Explorer?
Have you updated your local internet Security Settings as per the articles above as the Vault Admin User?

Alain_Deroy
Level 3
Hello,

thanks for the reply.

A synchronization has been run. The placeholder service is restarted regularly. The admin account password has not been reset/changed. Yes, it has worked. The archive explorer shows the same problem. IE settings are as the should be.
We're running Mcafee VSE8 on the file-server and the vault server. Should I remove this just to be sure?

Regards and Merry Christmas!

Alain.

Alain_Deroy
Level 3
Hello,

just some more info. There is a weird thing here. When an archived file is attached to a mail message (for example, you attach the file and send it to yourself), the file is accessible after receiving the mail.

Could it be an indexing or permission problem in the file-vault since obviously the file can be found in the vaut itself.

Regards,

Alain.

Anthony_Phillip
Level 3
When you send the email to yourself it is pulling it from the vault so that you are getting a copy, so yes, it is pulling it back therefore it must still be there, I suspect the problem you are experiencing is the same as us and relates to your virus scanning software which "corrupts" the links!

You need to be able to set the virus scanning application to "ignore" off-line/archived files and folders. I doubt you will be able to restore these links, what you need to do is set up a "Test" Environment (Folder) and turn off virus scanning on that folder, populate the folder and then archive all the contents. I you are able to retireve them all successfully again, then it must be Mcafee's. Unfortunately, you will have to "Turn Off" Archiving and restore all the items from the vault before you "set" the Virus Application appropriately, and again archive off all the File Store!? We no longer use This application for Archiving our file server!

Alain_Deroy
Level 3
Hello Anthony,

I suspect You are correct. I've since uninstalled AV on the vault server. Weird thing because all folders and volumes used by archiving were already excluded from scanning. It must be the av-engine then.

Anyway, is there no way to rebuild the indexes? There is a tool called indexcheck in EV but i'm not sure if this would help.

Kind Regards.

Anthony_Phillip
Level 3
The word from Symantec, or at least the 3rd line technical support person that I dealt with was, NO, not at this time!

We are using Version 5.5!

It has been a "Right Royal Pain in the A**!" for me, spent 4 weeks on this subject, and the support from Symantec has been "Pants!" do not wish to go there again!

Regards, and Good Luck!

Jason_Szeto
Level 6
You can rebuild the indexes but that probably won't help you. The indexes only allow you to search for the items it really has nothing to do with retrieval. The placeholders are just links to make HTTP calls to the server.

This may be unrelated but since you are using Windows 2003 SP1. You should always have these 2 reg keys set on your server. SP1 has issues if you refer to a server by an Alias name and I've seen issues with retrieval if these keys are not set.

Disable the loopback check
Follow these steps:1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
2. In Registry Editor, locate and then click the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa
3. Right-click Lsa, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
4. Type DisableLoopbackCheck, and then press ENTER.
5. Right-click DisableLoopbackCheck, and then click Modify.
6. In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.
7. Quit Registry Editor, and then restart your computer.

2. Apply the following registry change to the file server. To do so, follow these steps: a. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
b. Locate and click the following key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters
c. On the Edit menu, click Add Value, and then add the following registry value:
Value name: DisableStrictNameChecking
Data type: REG_DWORD
Radix: Decimal
Value: 1

Matthias_Rath
Level 3
Hey guys, we have the same problem using EV5 SP5. Welcome to the Club!!! ;)
The only difference is that we use Symantec AntiVirus.

Anthony, how did you restore the files via Archive Explorer? The support technican is not able to give us a solution.