cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archived message attachments partially restored ...

BruGuy
Level 6

Hello,

Strange problem with two of our users.

They were both recipients of a message containing several PDF attachments and one Excel attachment. Original size was about 8mb.

After archiving, only one of the attachments can be opened (a PDF). The rest have a size of about 64 bytes. In the archive explorer, the original total message size is still listed correctly, i.e., around 8mb.

Restoring the message does nothing, i.e., it stays in the archive, giving no client-side error. However, on the EV server, the event log records events 2227 "User '<unavailable>' failed to restore an item into mailbox 'Doe jane'  SavesetID: xxxxx" and 2270  "A queued operation exceeded the retry count and has been discarded".

(Retrieval)

m_pIExchangeRestorationAgentUpdate->SavesetAvailable(OriginatingClient = "our-id",
  pISaveset,
  AgentParamsSize = 593,
  pAgentParams,
  NULL,
  nRetryCount = 3,
  NULL,
  PSTFile = "", RestoreAndDelete = "TRUE",
  PSTFormat = "UNICODE",
  RestoreShortcuts ="FALSE");

HRESULT: 0x80004005

The only thing I can say is that the sender had signed the message (but not encrypted it).

Anyone got any ideas please? It only affects one message and we can get it elsewhere, but we're curious.

We're on EV8SP5 client and server, about to upgrade to EV9. Outlook 2003 client.

Thanks,

- Alan.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

0x80040005 is actually unknown error occured

your best bet is dtrace of storageonlineopns, authserver and w3wp.
It may just be an issue with the sispart where you may need to run EVSVR

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

LCT
Level 6
Accredited Certified

0x80004005 is cannot access file or path not found. I suspect it was not index properly....what's the index set to at the moment, brief, medium or full? If you dtrace the restore process and look for the archived message in storage - look in sql for the transaction ID and then the archive date etc. once you found the archived message in storage with the attachment open it with outlook, is the attachment show correctly? 

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

0x80040005 is actually unknown error occured

your best bet is dtrace of storageonlineopns, authserver and w3wp.
It may just be an issue with the sispart where you may need to run EVSVR

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146