cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Enterprise Vault 8.0 with Netbackup 6.5

Kenneth_Hansen
Level 6
Partner
Hi, regarding my old post https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/archived-items-remain-archive-pending-state-ev-801 regarding shortcut stay in pending staus until backup been run i relay need som help with some scripts.
I've read the Backing up enterprise vault doc ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/Exchange_Mailbox_Archiving_Unit/312327.pdf, but realy I'm not good enough to figure out this by my self :(

Enviroment
1 SQL server dedicated for EV, meaning only EV DB on it.
1 EV server holding the rest, indexing, vault store, msmq and so on.

Regarding to Netbackup, how should i setup my backup policy's?
1 for sql backup and 1 for EV server?

I dont have a SQL agent lisens for Netbackup, do I need it? Any one have scripts writen for backing up SQL server using symantec SQL scripts?
Ev server backup power shell script, any one have bpstart and bpend script they can share for how to set ev in backup mode?

I might be a bit dump here but scripts under seems only to set vault store group in backup mode, relay need a good example on how to set all that needs to be set in backup mode and normal mode again:

PowerShell snapin, then runs the set-vaultstorebackupmode cmdlet, to set backup mode on the vault store group called Express Vault Store Group:
powershell -psconsolefile "C:\Program Files\Enterprise Vault\EVShell.psc1" -command "& {set-vaultstorebackupmode -name 'Express Vault Store Group' -evservername server1 -evobjecttype vaultstoregroup}"

After your backup is complete, you should run a similar command in your script to clear backup mode. For example:
powershell -psconsolefile "C:\Program Files\Enterprise Vault\EVShell.psc1" -command "& {clear-vaultstorebackupmode -name 'Express Vault Store Group' -evservername server1 -evobjecttype vaultstoregroup}"

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Kenneth,

It is irrelevant to what backup application you are using. And sorry, I gave you the wrong link :)

Here is the link I was meaning to point you to :)

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/why-enterprise-vault-backup-documentation-lacking

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Kenneth_Hansen
Level 6
Partner
Thanks for feedback but unfortunatly you post doesn't give me what I need, I use NetBackup 6.5 and not NTbackup , and I wantto use powershell scripts so i dont need to stop EV and I have SQL DB on another server than the EV server. 
But thanks for answer :)

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Kenneth,

It is irrelevant to what backup application you are using. And sorry, I gave you the wrong link :)

Here is the link I was meaning to point you to :)

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/why-enterprise-vault-backup-documentation-lacking

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Hi Kenneth,

I covered this off just the other day. Please read this post it should cover every question you have.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/enterprise-vault-using-ntbackup

If you do not wish to use the SQL store procedure to dump the SQL files to flat file then look at this script:
https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/sql-script-dump-sql-databases

Kenneth_Hansen
Level 6
Partner
Yeah I had a look at that post earlier, It gave me some ideas, the script info you gave here did answer some of my questions but I still missing the SQL backup prosedure.
And as  I said before my SQL is on a dedicated server and need help to understand how to use the SQL script provided from symantec.
As the origin of this post is "remove safty copy after backup" and "shortcut stays in pending" doing the step under should fix that, but the I do not have a consistant backup  because of SQL.

NetBackup  Script should look something like this:

bpstart_notify.policy.schedule
Powershell.exe -psconsolefile "E:\Program Files\Enterprise Vault\evshell.psc1" set-IndexLocationBackupMode servername
Powershell.exe -psconsolefile "E:\Program Files\Enterprise Vault\evshell.psc1" set-vaultstorebackupmode -name 'Vault Store Group' -evservername servername -evobjecttype 'vaultstoregroup'

bpend_notify.policy.schedule
Powershell.exe -psconsolefile "E:\Program Files\Enterprise Vault\evshell.psc1" clear-IndexLocationBackupMode servername
Powershell.exe -psconsolefile "E:\Program Files\Enterprise Vault\evshell.psc1" clear-vaultstorebackupmode -name 'Vault Store Group' - evservername servername -evobjecttype 'vaultstoregroup'

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
;)

Please see this section "SQL stored procedure for backing up Enterprise Vault databases" in the administration guide, all the info you need is in there for the other stuff too: ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/Exchange_Mailbox_Archiving_Unit/289858.pdf

If you do not wish to use the SQL store procedure to dump the SQL files to flat file then look at this script:
https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/sql-script-dump-sql-databases

I hope this clears it up a bit more :)

--wayne

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
As long as between those two steps NetBackup does a back up of the Vault Store partition you will be good to go.  Remember it is the backing up of the partition that clears the archive bit, not the database.

Kenneth_Hansen
Level 6
Partner
Wayne, I'l have a look at the SQL part in the admin guide.

Tony , If I understand you correctly, NetBackup will execute the bpstart script when a backup policy is started, and then backup the selection, that would be "all_logical_drives" , guess that would be the best option to start with. And then backup is done Netbackup executes bpend script. Correct?

bpstart_notify.policy.schedule
Powershell.exe -psconsolefile "E:\Program Files\Enterprise Vault\evshell.psc1" set-IndexLocationBackupMode servername
Powershell.exe -psconsolefile "E:\Program Files\Enterprise Vault\evshell.psc1" set-vaultstorebackupmode -name 'Vault Store Group' -evservername servername -evobjecttype 'vaultstoregroup'

bpend_notify.policy.schedule
Powershell.exe -psconsolefile "E:\Program Files\Enterprise Vault\evshell.psc1" clear-IndexLocationBackupMode servername
Powershell.exe -psconsolefile "E:\Program Files\Enterprise Vault\evshell.psc1" clear-vaultstorebackupmode -name 'Vault Store Group' - evservername servername -evobjecttype 'vaultstoregroup' 

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
that sounds right to me. 

Kenneth_Hansen
Level 6
Partner
I've tested power shell scripts for backup and they workes fine :)
But when installing netbackup client, Vault Service Account must be the logon account or event log will be full of error messages regarding access denied on setting Vault store, indexing location to backup mode.