cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broken EV Stores ?

jfarber-123
Level 4

After getting EV running I looked around at the information about backing up EV. One of the posts mentioned  using pre and post batch files that stopped and started the services and ran a reg patch to set the store into backup mode. I copied the batch and reg files to test them. Before I ran the reg files patches I made a complete copy of the registry, which I saved to the desktop. I then ran the batch files and registry patches. They ran without error, both the pre and post patch batch files. However when I try to save an email to the archive I now get these errors:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Enterprise Vault
Event Category: Archive Task
Event ID: 3174
Date:  10/9/2009
Time:  2:45:48 PM
User:  N/A
Computer: AIBACKUPXEON
Description:
An ArchiveMarkedItems request has failed.  Not all of the messages could be returned to their original state.  These messages will remain as pending archive in the users mailbox.

Mailbox: /o=xxxxxx/xxxxxxxxxxou=NTNET/cn=Recipients/cn=xxxxx xxxxxxxx
Folder:  

Error: Access is denied.  [0x80070005]

and

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Enterprise Vault
Event Category: Archive Task
Event ID: 2270
Date:  10/9/2009
Time:  2:23:42 PM
User:  N/A
Computer: AIBACKUPXEON
Description:
A queued operation exceeded the retry count and has been discarded

m_pIArchiveAction->ArchiveMarkedItems(ExchangeServer = "AIMX01",
 MailboxDn = "/o=xxxxxx xxxxxxxxx/ou=NTNET/cn=Recipients/cn=xxxxx xxxxxxxx",
 FolderPath = " ",
 PathSeparator = "AAAAAAAALCKILPIGLCNMNCBBIFJOAAGAJELJIONHABAAMONNGOGGBNBMNFBBJPBMAALANAKKBAMNAAAAAHEALNGKAAAA",
 TimeStamp = "2009-10-09T19:23:33",
 RetentionCategoryId = "",
 AuthToken = "S-1-1-0 *****",
 RetryCount = "3")
HRESULT: 0x80070005

I've cleared backup mode from all stores and also went into regedit and checked that the keys ( which I found are no longer used in 8.0 ) were set to "1". I've since erased the keys. I tried to import the full registry backup, but everytime I do it complains that keys are in use, even when I've used a safe mode boot. I rebooted the server after removing the keys, but I still have emails that are in the midst of being archived and don't finish and get added to the archive.   Jacob

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GCSPT
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified
This should do you

http://support.veritas.com/docs/312327

Also the admin guide for other similar issues.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/328215

Cheers

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
What is your safety copy strategy? 

Also, since you have some errors about pending items you could set the Pending Item Timeout to 0 and run in report mode to see if that resets the pending item.

jfarber-123
Level 4
ok, I've found the correct backup document, "Backing up Enterprise Vault 8.0 and later" and I ran the powershell cmdlet ClearStoreBackupMode and reset all 3 stores. The emails still have "this item is being archived by Enterprise Vault" banners. Do I need to restart a service to get these emails fully into the archive, assuming the cmdlet was able to unblock the stores ?   Jacob

well the cmdlet didn't unblock the stores and creating a new store and making it the default store to use didn't work either.   Jacob

jfarber-123
Level 4
my safety copy is to immediately place the emails into the store. I'll try setting the pending items timeout to 0 and see if that does anything, thanks for the reply   Jacob

well setting to 0 doesn't do anything. I can cancel the operation though.

I guess my next step, since this is a test/pilot setup is to accept that the setup is hosed and do a reinstall. I just wish I understood what I did wrong when I ran the reg file. I can only be pleased that this is not a production environment.   Jacob

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Sorry to hear that Jacob.  One thing to remember is the reg files are no longer necessary.

After you set it to 0 did you synchronize the mailboxes before doing the run now?

jfarber-123
Level 4
Tony,

Thanks for all of the help. Since I had nothing to lose I ran the deployment scanner one more time before I did a wipe of the server. It turns out that the VSA had lost rights to send and receive on the IS store. I went into adsiedit.msc and reset the permissions, then I logged out of the EV server and logged back in. Low and behold  I could save emails to the store without error. This is not the first time I've seen rights change on the VSA account. I'm the only one playing with AD rights in the domain, so I'm confused as to this behavior. But it's something that I'm aware of now and so I'd suggest to others that if you see EV break you run the deployment scanner and see if something has changed in your AD rights or to see if some prerequsite has broken.

One last question, since I got into thia problem following a best practices for an earlier version of EV, ie using reg patches to set EV into backup mode, can someone point me to a place where best practices for EV 8.0 sp2 is locatted for things like backup etc.  so I don't do s a stupid thing again ?  Thanks again for all the help .    Jacob

GCSPT
Level 5
This should do you

http://support.veritas.com/docs/312327

Also the admin guide for other similar issues.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/328215

Cheers

jfarber-123
Level 4
Thanks for the links GCox...Jacob

GCSPT
Level 5
No Problem Jacob.

Just a note, if anyone got the solution on this I think it was more Tony as I just passed some Tn's to you, which reading your earlier post you may have already had.

Either way glad to hear you are back on the mend. Btw do you have the DSS tool to analyse the deployemnt scannersummary tool. Very handy if you are administering EV

jfarber-123
Level 4