Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bulk delete archived mail

mickelingon
Level 5
Partner

Hi

I need to delete over 15000 archived mails from a user folder.

I do not want to delete the archive (there are 75000 more mails in it) but these 15000 mails in this folder needs to be deleted from the archive.
What is the best way to do this. I do not want to do this from outlook because the user need to be able to work.

I guess there is a limit of how many mails you can delete at once, can you override this in the registry?

Thanks

Mikael

4 REPLIES 4

MarkBarefoot
Level 6
Employee

First off - how comes you need to delete 15000 archived mails :)??

There is no easy way to do this really, but there are options. You have ruled out Outlook as the user needs to be able to work, so you are then left with

- Archive Explorer

- Search.asp where you can create a basket and delete that

- If the items are in a known folder, or folders, you could use the Export wizard to export them to PST and delete them from the archive during the process..

What about shortcuts? Do you use them? Do you run Shortcut Deletion or Storage Expiry etc??

That's all I can think of at the moment.

mickelingon
Level 5
Partner

Hi

They are doing exports to the original mailboxes because they have agreed for now cause to merging companies not to use EV for mail in the merge.
So thats why, and this is the user with the biggest mailbox.

Is there a way to override they marking of 50 mails at a time?

Mikael

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi

Probably the easiest way would be to export the whole archive, delete it, recreate it, and import everything except the folder in question.

This however messes with the retention of the existing items...

Cheers

Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

Hovanes_Manucha
Level 2

Dear Mikael,

Globanet has a tool that should help you do this.

This is how the tool works:

• The user is able to construct a search and delete all items returned by the search.
  • If all your email is in a particular folder, then the OriginalLocation (IndexPropLOCN) property would contain that location.
  • You would construct a rule that says, find all items where OriginalLocation="/Inbox/DeleteMessagesInThisFolder" and specify the action for that search to be Delete.

The tool produces a log of the results.

If this is what you need, feel free to contact them (website link below) and request a demo.

Hovig