Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cluster Domino Gateway does'nt work on cluster MSCS EV

GrégoryRabillon
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hello,

I Have the The Domino Server console logs the following error:

...NotifyDirectoryService Failed - [0x80040e14].

I have a MSC Scluster EV on W2K8R2SP1 with one cluster domino with Evhousekeeping functionnality installed on each node.

I read the discussion https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/high-availability-enterprise-vault-domino-gateway about the cluster MSCS Domino.

Should we always install a domino mscs cluster on a cluster mscs enterpise vault, or are there a specific configuration for the gateway operates domino cluster.

Thanks a lot

Grégory

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Paul_Honey
Level 5
Employee Accredited

Gregory,

Ok, so your config matches that of the technote I referenced and your understanding is correct. EVDG's have no awareness of / support for Domino clustering. Domino clustering will not harm the operation of two EVDGs, but it is not going to provide any failover / HA capability from the point of view of what the EVDG does - i.e. handle retrieval / delete / restore requests for Domino items.

So, in such a scenario, your EVDGs are effectively standalone and as per that technote, their existence on a MSCS clustered server has raised the potential for the EVDG registration process to fail, as the EVDG housekeeping task basically passes confusing server name information when the EVDG is situated on an MSCS server.

This is the bug that will be addressed in the forthcoming EV11, but there are manual workarounds to this you can use today. However, as these workarounds require registry or SQL stored proceedure changes, the technote requests that you open a case with Support so the options can be fully explained to you before committing any changes. As I said, post back here the case reference number and I will track it internally.

EVDG awareness / failover capability using Domino clustering is a long standing enhancement request for the product but not one that has as yet has made it to the Engineeirng hot/hitlist. The main reason for this is that a valid automated HA / failover configuration solution using MSCS or VCS exists, by clustering one EVDG server as an MSCS service / resource instance that can then failover between nodes, along with all of the other clustered components. As you already have MSCS in play, I do wonder if this is perhaps a preferable configuration for your customer, if they do have HA / automated failover requirements for the EVDG, as well as EV?

Regards

Paul

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Paul_Honey
Level 5
Employee Accredited

Gregory,

I am trying to understand your config, are you saying that you have installed the EVDG effectively as a standalone server - i.e. not configured the Domino service as an MSCS application service? If so, then this config is supported. It will obviously not provide you with any automated HA / failover capability for the EVDG itself (as it is not part of the MSCS failover process) and there is a known issue with such a config that was recently raised by another customer and is referenced on this technote

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH212971

This error will actually be addressed in EV11 but, in the meantime, as per the technote, if you open a Support case and refernece that technote, then they should be able to provide you with options for working around the error. If you can get a case open and post the case numbe rback here, I will make sure it gets expedited asap

Regards

Paul

GrégoryRabillon
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Thanks Paul,

I've installed an MSCS enterprise vault cluster  on two nodes. i've installed a domino server with evhousekkeping features on each same node. this Two domino server are configured to works on domino cluster and not mscs cluster.

I have one cluster MSCS EV and one cluster Domino with evhousekeeping features on the same two nodes.

I read your technote and i think that EVDG gateway domino cluster on MSCS EV cluster doesn't wotk.

I tried to open a case, if you can help to resolve this issue without installing EV 11.

Regards

Gregory

Paul_Honey
Level 5
Employee Accredited

Gregory,

Ok, so your config matches that of the technote I referenced and your understanding is correct. EVDG's have no awareness of / support for Domino clustering. Domino clustering will not harm the operation of two EVDGs, but it is not going to provide any failover / HA capability from the point of view of what the EVDG does - i.e. handle retrieval / delete / restore requests for Domino items.

So, in such a scenario, your EVDGs are effectively standalone and as per that technote, their existence on a MSCS clustered server has raised the potential for the EVDG registration process to fail, as the EVDG housekeeping task basically passes confusing server name information when the EVDG is situated on an MSCS server.

This is the bug that will be addressed in the forthcoming EV11, but there are manual workarounds to this you can use today. However, as these workarounds require registry or SQL stored proceedure changes, the technote requests that you open a case with Support so the options can be fully explained to you before committing any changes. As I said, post back here the case reference number and I will track it internally.

EVDG awareness / failover capability using Domino clustering is a long standing enhancement request for the product but not one that has as yet has made it to the Engineeirng hot/hitlist. The main reason for this is that a valid automated HA / failover configuration solution using MSCS or VCS exists, by clustering one EVDG server as an MSCS service / resource instance that can then failover between nodes, along with all of the other clustered components. As you already have MSCS in play, I do wonder if this is perhaps a preferable configuration for your customer, if they do have HA / automated failover requirements for the EVDG, as well as EV?

Regards

Paul

GrégoryRabillon
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Thanks Paul,

We are delete the domino cluster and reinstall a MSCS domino cluster with the technote http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH75338

Regards,

Grégory

GrégoryRabillon
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi Paul,

I've installed DOMINO on each node on MSCS Cluster and i haven't no errors on Event viever and domino console.

Thanks a lot.

Grégory