cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Couple of EV8 Archiving questions

Aaron_Norton
Level 4

1. Is it possible to hide users from the GAL after they have been enabled in EV8? I have some former employees that are being archived but we don't want the names listed in the GAL.

2. If I want to delete the former employees mailbox, what is the EV8 procedure to keep all the information? Basically I want to keep it for compliance reasons but I want the mailbox removed from my exchange environment. I think I know how to do it but I want to be safe.

3. What is the procedure for moving a user from one archive partition to another in EV8? If I want to move active employees to the former employee partition is there a procedure I can follow to do this?

Thanks for all the help.

Aaron

6 REPLIES 6

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello Aaron,

On the questions, see the links:

1 - See link under 2

2 - http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/319355.htm

3 - http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/273232.htm

As for 1 and 2, as soon as you have archived the whole mailbox of the user that left the company, either remove the account from AD completely, including removing the mailbox, or place the account in a seperate OU (where 2 comes in place, you have a provisioning task attacking that specifc OU, and have a specific mbx policy for it.) This will leave the useraccount disabled, small mailbox. I'd go for a combination. Move account to OU, archive whole mailbox, disable account, delete mailbox (exchangeproperties) You keep the account, but remove the mailbox. If the user ever returns, you can export the archive back in the new mailbox (or in another, still use DA etc.)

Hope this helps.

Gertjan

Regards. Gertjan

patrickkuah
Level 6

Hi,

1) There is a way to procces hidden mailbox by changing the respective table in SQL. Log a support, they will be able to assist you.

2) Create a new policy to archive everything then create a new provisioning group (rank it as no.1) and assign all ex-employees to this group. Disable the mailbox for archiving after EV archives it, you may then delete the accounts and mailboxes. You may consider exporting the archive to PST for future safe keeping.

3) unless there's someting new in EV 8, else the only way is to export to PST and import it again.

regards,

patrickkuah

Aaron_Norton
Level 4

No real reason other than keeping things clean. Former employees inside former employees archive etc...

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
You could also for ease of sorting change the Description to "Terminated" and set the Bill usage to some new "Terminated Account" I would just keep them in the same location as they are in. Wait for move archive, but honestly I have 35,000 archives and I don’t have any issues on keeping leaves in the same VS as normal users.

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
See above comments and also. Dont forget the Process Hidden Mailbox reg key: HKLM\Software\KVS\Enterprise Vault\Agents "ProcessHiddenMailboxes"=dword:00000001 2) You have a couple of options here. I would suggest ingesting the entire mailbox into Enterprise Vault before deleting it. Then delete the mailbox and the archive will remain with all the users’ data. 3) You can only do this with export and import, this enhancement is coming soon called move archive. However can I ask why you want to move the archive? There are no real benefits moving a handful of archives. --wayne

Aaron_Norton
Level 4

Thanks for the great info everyone this has helped me with a couple of decisions.

Now I need to figure out some other things but I will create a seperate post for that so as not to confuse the issues.

These are all solutions!