Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating shortcuts for archives inserted via API

Ben_Shorehill
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi All,

I am currently developing for a project which inserts archived messages through the EV API (EV9). Theoretically, if I was to run shortcut processing after inserting the archived messages, would EV create new shortcuts in the mailbox for my API archives?

Cheers!

Ben

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

rick_krieger
Level 5
Employee Accredited

No.  In short, for a shortcut to be 're-created' it had to have been created at the time of archiving.  There is a technote or 2 out there that explains some of the behavior and options around this but for your case this won't help anyway.

Please send me your contact details via private message so I can follow up with you on this.

Thanks,

Rick

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

i'm going to see if Rick Krieger from Symantec can chime in on this for you. I don't think it's so straight forward.

Ben_Shorehill
Level 4

Thanks Andy. Much appreciated. 

rick_krieger
Level 5
Employee Accredited

No.  In short, for a shortcut to be 're-created' it had to have been created at the time of archiving.  There is a technote or 2 out there that explains some of the behavior and options around this but for your case this won't help anyway.

Please send me your contact details via private message so I can follow up with you on this.

Thanks,

Rick

JesusWept3
Level 6
Well recreated is more like rebuilt, for the fact that EV does not create objects, so the RestoreShortcutBody does is take an existing item and edit it so that it reflects the current archiving policies shortcut policy But really your best bet is just to create the shortcuts yourself through something such as Redemption or other extended Mapi interfaces Use MFCMapi or Outlook Spy to look at the hidden Mapi properties etc and do it yourself Will be quicker than waitin for an enhancement to be fulfilled :)
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

DanClark
Level 3
Partner

Ben,

Depending on which solution you are using to do the ingestion, TransVault has a "Create Shortcuts" feature that will create the shortcuts for you post archiving that creates the basic shortcut - even if one was not created at the time of archiving.

Thanks,

Dan

JesusWept3
Level 6
Could be wrong dan, but erm, I think they're making their own 3rd party product and probably wouldn't be happy buying a competitors solution :)
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Ben_Shorehill
Level 4

I was actually referring to TransVault. Had some issues with some shortcut conversions but all is sorted now.

Thanks everyone for your responses.