cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DTS and/or 6.0 SP4 Archiving Issue

Barbara_Gargone
Level 4
I'm hoping to find out if anyone else is experiencing the below problem after upgrading EV 6.0 to SP4. I'm not sure if this issue is coming from the DST OS and Exchange 2003 SP2 backend update or if it's a problem after upgrading to EV 6.0 SP2 to SP4, or a combination of both.

Currently and prior to the upgrade and DST changes implemented, we use age-based policies in Enterprise Vault. All mail after 30 days is archived ("young items and all mail older than") is set to 30 days. After we implemented the MS OS and Exchange backend DST patches for 2003 SP2 on all Exchange servers (and applied the appropriate DST ESM update on Evault and upgraded to EV 6.0 SP4, it appears that email archiving is off by 1 day.

Nothing was changed on the policy or archiving tasks after the upgrade/changes, but I notice email that would typically be archived during the age-based period is not being archived.

For instance....Last night (3/8) when archiving ran, shortcuts appeared through 2/7/07, when prior, they would have been displayed through 2/8/07, (hence the 30 day policy). I didn't want to delete/re-create the archiving task (not knowing if it was a task or policy issue) so I change the policy from 30 to 29 days and forced archiving to run on my mailbox only. Archiving was successful and shortcuts appeared through 2/8/07...So in reality, by changing the policy to 29 days, it actually archived mail through 30 days. If I kept the policy at 30 days, email would have been archived through 29 days. Go figure....

Prior to changing the policy I ran it in report mode and the numbers were off, once I changed the policy to 29 days the "number of items ready to archive" were correct and therefore when archiving ran, it was successful.

Is anyone else experiencing the same or similar issue aster upgrading or applying MS DST changes.

Thanks,

Barb
4 REPLIES 4

Kopfjager
Level 5
Employee Certified
Its late so my math might be off, but if you are archiving items at 30 days and Febuary only has 28 days, are you pretty much right on schedule? Actually just flipping through my calender real quick, 30 days put me to 2/7 (counting the 8th of March as day 1.

The DST changes would cause hour differences, not days. I think its just the short month doing its sneaky little offset.

Barbara_Gargone
Level 4
Uhhh. You are so right...I didn't even think of that...Now that I back track 30 days through the calendar, it would put the last shortcut message around that time.

So I should see the typical true to date 30 day shortcut return next month?

Unfortunately the over-site was at the same time of DST and upgrade so naturally I wasn't thinking calendar days... but rather what changed on the system.

Glad someone else was thinking....so late at night!

Thanks for your quick response.

Barb

Rick_Grigg_at_M
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Barb,

Have you also applied the DST patches for E.V. from Symantec? All relevant patches for the DST changes have been posted. These patches must be applied.

You didn't mention whether or not you were having any problems with OWA with respect to accessing archived items, so I'm going to assume that you are not using OWA.

Download the appropriate DST patches from the Symantec support website. This should correct any problems with the dates.

Good Luck!
Rick Grigg

Barbara_Gargone
Level 4
Yes, we applied all necessary OS and Exchange back-end updates as referenced in Microsoft's DST articles. In addition, we applied the ESM DST update on the EV server and upgraded to EV6.0 SP4 (from version SP2).

EV 6.0 SP4 addresses the DST changes.

I believe the issue was resolved as posted in the above reply by Paul Strittmatter. Messages older than 30 days were being archived and replaced with shortcut messages, although it appeared archiving was off by two days. (but in reality there was only 28 days in February) so the shortcut dates were correct.

Thanks,

Barb