cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleted items not clearing from indexes

The_Yeti
Level 3

Hi,

We are currently going through a data clensing exercise and we have noticed that items are not being removed from peoples archives. Having looked at the event logs I can see that there is an event being logged (41022) that relates to this issue, there is also an alert in the Status Checks.

I can see looking back that this has been steadily getting worse for a while and that we currently have over half a million items that have been deleted but not removed from the index.

I have checked and set the indexes so that they are not in backup mode and run the failed check when right clicking Archives - Index Volumes, ticking Failed and selecting Find - nothing appears, so all appears to be ok, it is just not processing the indexes.

The storage service appears to be ok too.

Anyone have any ideas how to resolve it/give it a kick?

Ta

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Prone2Typos
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I have seen this issue a lot and it seems related to one of two things

Normally CareFreex's TN is the correct answer and at some point the SQL server was upgraded and teh compatibility mode left as default. That is the most common.

Much less common, but also possible, is that the DB maintenace is not being performed properly and queries are getting hung on the SQL server. You did not post your version but there have been enhancements to some of the tables to include indexes and there is a HF that can be applied to EV 8 SP4, SP5, and EV 9.0 (maybe 9 SP1 too).

I would make sure that your DB is in the correct compatibility mode and that it is properly maintained with Indexes being rebuilt and statistics being updated after you shrink the DB.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

J

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

LCT
Level 6
Accredited Certified

You may need to dtrace the indexing processes to see exactly what is happening in the background. I normally find that sometimes it takes a while to delete the indexed items after the archived items have been deleted.

Restarting the Indexing Services helped me most of the times. As a matter of interest, where are your Index Locations located physically?

Maverik
Level 6

Is there a backlog of items not clearing from the journaldete table within the Vault Store Database for the user/s concerned archive/s?

When an item is deleted a record is added to this table for the item to then be removed from the index.  If this table count is just increasing and never going down then this is the first point of investigation as to why the index is not being updated for deletions. 

CFreeX
Level 4

Prone2Typos
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I have seen this issue a lot and it seems related to one of two things

Normally CareFreex's TN is the correct answer and at some point the SQL server was upgraded and teh compatibility mode left as default. That is the most common.

Much less common, but also possible, is that the DB maintenace is not being performed properly and queries are getting hung on the SQL server. You did not post your version but there have been enhancements to some of the tables to include indexes and there is a HF that can be applied to EV 8 SP4, SP5, and EV 9.0 (maybe 9 SP1 too).

I would make sure that your DB is in the correct compatibility mode and that it is properly maintained with Indexes being rebuilt and statistics being updated after you shrink the DB.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

J