cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deletion of Journal Messages in Exchange

joseraulrivera
Level 2

My dearest experts:

In an Enterprise Vault deployment, how are messages removed from the journal mailbox?  Is this left solely to Exchange or can Enterprise Vault be configured to remove the messages after a specified time frame?

How is either configured?

Many thanks!

Sincerely,

José

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

by default the journal delay is 5 minutes. i suppose you could increase it but i'd be concerned about what other applications would do to that mailbox and how it would impact the messages which should be left in pristine condition for EV to archive them (most likely for legal purposes if you're doing journaling)

Journal delay (Exchange Archiving General setting)

Article:HOWTO97511  |  Created: 2014-05-07  |  Updated: 2014-05-07  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO97511

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

You need to configure journal archiving which is described in the EV documentation.

The items are removed (give or take) straight away.

Working for cloudficient.com

joseraulrivera
Level 2

Great!  Thanks!

Is there a way to configure EV to wait X number of hours?  Specifically in the case of other applications that might leverage the mailbox.

I did a cursory scan of the Installation and Configuration documentation, but it only found a reference to a Microsoft registry key, which didn't seem right.

Sincerely,

José

AndrewB

by default the journal delay is 5 minutes. i suppose you could increase it but i'd be concerned about what other applications would do to that mailbox and how it would impact the messages which should be left in pristine condition for EV to archive them (most likely for legal purposes if you're doing journaling)

Journal delay (Exchange Archiving General setting)

Article:HOWTO97511  |  Created: 2014-05-07  |  Updated: 2014-05-07  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO97511

joseraulrivera
Level 2

Many, many thanks!

Sincerely,

José

AndrewB

Jose, if one of our posts solved your inquiry, please dont forget to mark it as such. Thanks!