cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the Archive Usage report, report on uncompressed original file size or after compression size?

Darryl_R
Level 3
Employee Accredited
Hello All,

I will post this on SYMIQ in the AM but I wanted to see if you guys had some insight on this question..

Do we have any documentation that shows that the usage report is pulling from the ArchivePoint table (column ArchivedItemsSize) and not from the SavesetProperty table (column OriginalSize)?

A customer of ours is convinced, partly to confirmation from the Symantec Engineer below, that the usage report is reporting on Uncompressed size and not compressed.

While this is a rather detailed email, I am not sure that our usage report would report on inaccurate uncompressed size ratios, unless I am missing something.

Can you guys comment on this?

Here is the original email from our support tech…

Subject: Re: Enterprise Vault Case 06838910 [ ref:_00D30jPy._50050Te8T2:ref ]

Hello Ray,

Shoeb let me know you would like a follow-up email for clarification.

My apologies for any confusion with the example archive. It was a very conservative estimation between the actual size of the sample archive (what is reported in usage.asp) and the actual size of storage. I used a approximately 12% compression to give an example of the difference. Actual compression does vary.

This will be a more accurate way to calculate Vault Store partition size (HOWTO99323) -

NOTE: this is a Backup Exec tech note

The size of a vault store partition depends on the following items:

The size of the emails.

The type of attachments.

The number and size of the attachments.

The number of emails with attachments.

Note:

If single instance storage is enabled, items are shared within and across vault stores and vault store partitions. Shareable parts of a message that exceed the single-instance threshold of 20 KB are shared. These parts include attachments and message bodies. User information and shareable parts under the single instance threshold are not shared.

See About single instance storage of archived items. - (http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO99332)

You can use the following calculations to approximate the disk space requirements of a vault store partition:

The following values and variables are used in the formulas:

• N is the number of emails.

• m is the average number of identical copies of attachments across user mailboxes.

• The compression factor for attachments is estimated as 60%.

• If the attachments are mostly Office 2007 files, the compression factor to use is 90%.

• The average number of emails that have attachments is estimated at 20%.

• The average size of an email attachment is estimated at 250 KB.

Approximate vault store partition size for which single instance storage is not enabled:

(N x 16) + (N x 0.2 x 0.6 x 250) kilobytes

Approximate vault store partition size for which single instance storage is enabled:

(N x 16) + ((1/m) x (N x 0.2 x 0.6 x 250) kilobytes

For example, you want to know the disk space requirements for a vault store partition for 100,000 emails. You estimate that each email attachment is shared across three people on average.

If single instance storage of archived items is not enabled, the calculation for the disk space requirements is as follows:

(100000 x 16) + (100000 x 0.2 x 0.6 x 250) kilobytes = 4.6 GB approximately

If single instance storage is enabled, the calculation for the disk space requirements is as follows:

(100000 x 16) + ((1/3) x 100000 x 0.2 x 0.6 x 250) kilobytes = 2.6 GB approximately

Again, the Enterprise Vault Report, usage.asp, gives the total size in pre-compressed MB.

Actual compression in your environment is approximately 50%.

If usage.asp is reporting 100 MB, that is how much space would be needed to restore all items.

Actual space for the EV Archives would be ~50 MB.
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

You should be asking this question internally no?

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH35741

According to that technote it's the compressed size (ie the size after archiving)

Working for cloudficient.com

View solution in original post

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

i believe the statement "the Enterprise Vault Report, usage.asp, gives the total size in pre-compressed MB" is accurate.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

You should be asking this question internally no?

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH35741

According to that technote it's the compressed size (ie the size after archiving)

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

i believe the statement "the Enterprise Vault Report, usage.asp, gives the total size in pre-compressed MB" is accurate.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

FWIW I tested this. I had an email with 2 attachments (one was 109Kb, the other 242 Kb) totalling 353 Kb. I had another email which was 2 Mb

Then I archived them.

The usage report showed 2 Mb. So it does look like it's the pre-compressed size .. not the 'new' size on disk of the archived items or anything.