cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV 10.0.1 plugin complains with Office 2010 64-bit (but does work)

stephan_vanheld
Level 5

I have Office 2010 64-bit installed, and so far I had used the EV 10.0.0 HTTP-only plugin.

I installed the new EV 10.0.1 unified plugin, and during installation it complained that it "requires Outlook 2003 SP2 or later" and that I need to use the HTTP-only plugin because I have Outlook 2010 installed (basically the same messages that the 'classic' plugin produced with Ol2010). However, the installation still completed, and now it is working (and it is the new version).

7 REPLIES 7

Percy_Vere
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hi Stephan,

I would say the messages were informational rather than complaints as Customers may be performing fresh installs as well as upgrading.

StephenConnolly
Level 3
Employee

This doesn't sound right. That error was rightly part of the DCOM\full client installer which we didn't support for OK 2010.

However if the install didn't quit with an error and let you continue it sounds like this is just unwelcome noise. For silent rollouts end users won't see these messages anyway, but for admins it could cause unnecessary head scratching. I'll get someone to take a look.

StephenConnolly
Level 3
Employee

When exactly did this message occur? When you first ran the install wizard, or after you clicked 'install' and the transaction started? That string isn't even in the 10.0.1 installer, so this sounds like something that's occurred during an upgrade while you had an old DCOM client installed on the machine. Is it possible you had a DCOM client on the machine, upgraded to Office 2010 and then upgraded to a 10.0.1 client (which under the hood would have run the uninstaller for the DCOM client)?

Some details about the history of the machine, EV client versions and Outlook versions would give us a little more to go on. It's possible there's an upgrade path here we've missed during QA.

stephan_vanheld
Level 5

Hmm .. it's possible that it is related to this. When I remember correctly, my machine's history was the following:

• installed Office 2007
  • installed classic EV plugin
  • upgraded to Office 2010 64-bit
  • installed http-only EV plugin 9.0.1 (not sure whether I manually removed the classic plugin before)
  • upgraded to http-only EV plugin 10.0.0
  • upgraded EV plugin 10.0.1

The message appeared during the actual installation. So first I saw the welcome screens etc. and started the installation. Then it copied some files and settings and during this the messages appeared. After I confirmed them, installation continued.

So yes, the idea that the messages came actually from the old uninstaller sounds reasonable.

MarkBarefoot
Level 6
Employee

I've messaged you directly with some information.

stephan_vanheld
Level 5

So far I was unable to reproduce the issue on another computer. Seems like it was some special setting on my machine (and of course an Administrator's computer is somehow different from an ordinary user's machine).

We will likely start large-scale deployment of the new unified add-on next week. If we should see the problem again then, I will re-open this thread or create a new one.

StephenConnolly
Level 3
Employee

If you do, please ensure you capture any installation logs. These are really helpful if we need to do any forensics.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/enterprise-vault-outlook-client-installer-logging