cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV 2007 ver 7.5 SP3 and EV Reporting Configuration

EV_Novice
Level 5
Lafies and Gents,

I'm trying to configure EV Reporting on a Test SQL 2005 Server.  I'm following the instructions on pages 132 et seq. in the Install and Configuring manual.
All went well until step 6 on page 133. I've had several attempts, tried old favourites such as rebooting,
I've checked that the IIS features are configured , and asked a SQL DBA to verify the steps I'd taken, but we still cannot see the solution.
The error I'm encountering is:

Exception : System.InvalidOperationException: Client found response content type of 'text/html', but expected 'text/xml'.
The request failed with the error message:
--
<html><head><title>Error</title></head><body>%1 is not a valid Win32 application.
</body></html>

I guess to the trained eye, the solution is glaringly obvious, but I can't identify it !

I'd appreciate your comments and guidance, here is an extract from the EVDeployReports Log, with the above error in context:

.3\Reporting Services\ReportServer
Entered AppClass::GetVirtualDirectoryPath
Leaving AppClass::GetVirtualDirectoryPath
RS virtual directory - http://ukentdbasd15/reportserver
Leaving AppClass::GetMSRS2005Info
Create Configuration class object
rsInstallPath = C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.3\Reporting Services\ReportServer
rsWebSrvPath = http://ukentdbasd15/reportserver
Installing reports......
Entered AppClass::CheckPrerequisite
Entered UIHelper::IsInAdministrators
Entered UIHelper::CheckAndStartIIS
Entered UIHelper::CheckIISState
Entered UIHelper::GetIISServiceDisplayName
Leaving UIHelper::GetIISServiceDisplayName
Entered UIHelper::IsServiceRunning
Leaving UIHelper::IsServiceRunning
Leaving UIHelper::CheckIISState
Leaving UIHelper::CheckAndStartIIS
Entered UIHelper::GetCurrentFilePath
Leaving UIHelper::GetCurrentFilePath
Entered Configuration::Configuration()
Entered Configuration::Initialize()
Entered RsHelper::RsHelper()
Leaving RsHelper::RsHelper()
Leaving Configuration::Initialize()
Leaving Configuration::Configuration()
Configuration::HasPermissions called
Entered RSHelper::HasPermissions
Exception : System.InvalidOperationException: Client found response content type of 'text/html', but expected 'text/xml'.
--
<html><head><title>Error</title></head><body>%1 is not a valid Win32 application.
</body></html>
at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)
at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
at ReportingService.GetPermissions(String Item)
at Symantec.EnterpriseVault.Reporting.RsHelper.HasPermissions(String reportItem, String[] requiredPermissions)
at Symantec.EnterpriseVault.Reporting.Configuration.HasPermissions(Boolean install)
at Symantec.EnterpriseVault.Reporting.AppClass.CheckPrerequisite(String rsInstallPath, String rsWebSrvPath, String& prerequisiteStatus)
System.InvalidOperationException: Client found response content type of 'text/html', but expected 'text/xml'.
--
</body></html>
at Symantec.EnterpriseVault.Reporting.AppClass.CheckPrerequisite(String rsInstallPath, String rsWebSrvPath, String& prerequisiteStatus)
at Symantec.EnterpriseVault.Reporting.AppClass.ConfigureReporting()
Entered ReportDeployForm::DeployReportsCallback
Entered Configuration::Configuration()
Invalid command line arguments are passed
Symantec.EnterpriseVault.Reporting.DeploymentException: Error code: ReportDeployMiscError

Server stack trace:
at Symantec.EnterpriseVault.Reporting.AppClass.ConfigureReporting()
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink._PrivateProcessMessage(IntPtr md, Object[] args, Object server, Int32 methodPtr, Boolean fExecuteInContext, Object[]& outArgs)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.PrivateProcessMessage(RuntimeMethodHandle md, Object[] args, Object server, Int32 methodPtr, Boolean fExecuteInContext, Object[]& outArgs)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.AsyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg, IMessageSink replySink)

Exception rethrown at [0]:
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.EndInvokeHelper(Message reqMsg, Boolean bProxyCase)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RemotingProxy.Invoke(Object NotUsed, MessageData& msgData)
at Symantec.EnterpriseVault.Reporting.ReportDeployForm.DeployReportsDelegate.EndInvoke(IAsyncResult result)
at Symantec.EnterpriseVault.Reporting.ReportDeployForm.DeployReportsCallback(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
Leaving ReportDeployForm::DeployReportsCallback

2 REPLIES 2

Maverik
Level 6
Getting any .net errors in application event log?

EV_Novice
Level 5
On the advice of one of our SQL DBA's we reinstalled .net framework 1.1. The reasons being that there are 32-bit and 64-bit versions. We've tried the 32-bit version on our 64-bit server, as we were under the impresssion that to do so would allow all of the EV reports to be available, whereas with the 64-bit version, at least three important reports would not be available.
With both versions of .net framework 1.1, we encountered the same error as already reported above.
We can get a clean result from Deployment scanner and we get a clean result from the Installation of EV Reporting software. The first hurdle that we cannot negotiate is with the configuration stage.
We enter the reporting users identity and password, we ensure the correct language and so on. We target the required server, trying either name or TCP/IP address and get the same result: the config aborts, with the same error message listed in the deploy log.:

System.InvalidOperationException: Client found response content type of 'text/html', but expected 'text/xml'.
--
</body></html>
I  guess there is something subtle that I've misunderstood or simply haven't seen.
Your guidance would be appreciated.

thanks for your time.