cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV 9.0.2.1061 migrate NTFS content to Centera

bogpav
Level 3

Hi,

my EV was installed  2 years ago (the retention period is 5 years) with the vault store partition on NTFS SAN and now I want to migrate all the content to Centera. In this moment  Centera is in basic mode but I have license for Compliance Plus. The environment is configured and used only for journaling, only one journal mailbox is  defined and all is working without problems. I need the steps and recommendations from all with experience to help me migrate the items from NTFS LUN to Centera. The items must preserve time stamp to expiry on time (over 3 years).

Kind regards,

Bogdan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Jeff_Shotton
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Bogdan,

The NTFS to Centera migrator simply moves the savesets from one storage medium to another. In doing so the retention would be set as per the original archived time (which will not change)

To prove this, maybe move a few items and then check the retention on the CDF

See the utilities guide, chapter 19 for more info : http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC5462 

Make sure you are on the latest service pack of whatever version you are on before you start, since there have been a couple of issues storing items to Centera fixed in later versions.

Regards,

Jeff

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Jeff_Shotton
Level 6

Bogdan,

The NTFS to Centera migrator simply moves the savesets from one storage medium to another. In doing so the retention would be set as per the original archived time (which will not change)

To prove this, maybe move a few items and then check the retention on the CDF

See the utilities guide, chapter 19 for more info : http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC5462 

Make sure you are on the latest service pack of whatever version you are on before you start, since there have been a couple of issues storing items to Centera fixed in later versions.

Regards,

Jeff

bogpav
Level 3

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your information. After i read the migration steps from the documentation you provide me, i migrate 2 days of messages to centera with success. The only issue that I observed is the  space ocupied on Centera differ from the space ocupied on NTFS LUN. On the NTFS both folders days where the messages are  located has 4GB (size on disk) and centera after migration show pool usage 9GB. Do you know why is this differences ? The deduplication of EV is not working ?

Thanks,
Bogdan

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

When Centera is the storage device it is responsible for the Single Instance\de-duplication.  You should have your storage team take a look at it.

Jeff_Shotton
Level 6

As Tony says - get your storage team to take a look.

There are lots of reasons for the discrepancy, including the need to duplicate the data for redundancy (you only have the one copy on NTFS obviously), and the fact that Centera has three different deduplication levels (0, 100kb, 250kb - this is the most common in use) while EV de-dupes at 20kb in EV8+

Most my customers dont typically buy these things for storage reduction (EV SIS is better) but rather for the in-built replication and compliance functionality.

Regards,

Jeff

bogpav
Level 3

O.K. now I understand where come the difference of space ocupied between EV vs Centera, thanks all for that.

Anoter question about this migration is regarding the retention categories. If I don't define in Centera a class name to link to EV retention category there will be any impact on the retention on mail objects ?

The class name on Centera act like an insurance for Centera objects and application (EV) will not have rights to delete the objects until meet the time condition from Centera class, wright ?

Before migrate all the content from NTFS to Centera I will  set the Compliance Plus feature on Centera and also set in EV the retention to "Only for a Centera Compliance Plus model" in the Centera Vault Store Partition to make sure that the objects migrated will be compliant and expire according to internal policy.

Kind regards,

Bogdan