cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV 9 creating 1.8 GB file named ~DFF16A.tmp

Leonardo_Fern1
Level 6

Every couple of days I find a 1.8 GB temp file named ~DFF16A.tmp in C:\Documents and Settings\evadminaccount\Local Settings\Temp. Is this normal? Its chewing up my disk space on C: on the EV server.

thank you.

6 REPLIES 6

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Do you use File Server Archiving per chance?

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Leonardo_Fern1
Level 6

Nope, only email. I noticed this after we upgarded from 8.0.2 to 9.0.1, but that might be coincidence.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

What tasks do you have configured?  Do any start at "around" the time of the file creation date/time?

Working for cloudficient.com

AndresMunoz
Level 5
Partner Accredited

I don't know where the file is coming from, but its is best practice to move the Windows Temp folder to a disk other than the system or MSMQ disks. Enterprise Vault services write temporary files to the Windows Temp folder. If the Temp folder is on the system disk, this can cause the following problems: 

• There may not be much space on the system disk. This means that Enterprise Vault services may stop because they have run out of temporary storage space.
  • Performance may be affected because of the access needed to both system files and temporary files.

The same applies to the page file. When I design my systems, I always place the pagefile on a dedicated drive. And if is an EV Server, I place the temp directory on a dedicated drive. Might look like an overkill but we get the most performance out of the boxes... virtual machines and disk is cheap nowdays.

Leonardo_Fern1
Level 6

FYI: The file has not been generated in over 2 weeks now. Gremlin??

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Maybe the particular "problem" file has now been dealt with by Enterprise Vault.  Would be good  to capture the information mentioned above, if it happens again - as I'm sure you will.

Working for cloudficient.com