cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV Client Automation

Andrew_Neale
Level 4
Been pulling my hair out with this for a couple of weeks now.

Is there anyway of automatin the client install via GPO or SCCM? I've tried the msiexex /a option from a share but my users dont have admin rights to install, SCCM just doesn't seem to like the EV MSI at all.

Anyone else done this with any success?
17 REPLIES 17

patrickkuah
Level 6
Yup, been there, done that... You can deploy via GPO... deploy via computer container level. My customer had just also deployed via SCCM as well...

Andrew_Neale
Level 4

Any insights in how to deploy via GPO, we've tried with the standard MSI and it just appears that nothing happens

Nicola_Rositani
Level 5
try to install it with only /passive parameter

Andrew_Neale
Level 4
Cant put a switch on via GPO without transforming the msi first.

Nicola_Rositani
Level 5
Can you run a batch file that it execute msi with parameter?

Andrew_Neale
Level 4
No because the user doesn't have the admin rights to install. Using run as also doesn't work as you have to put the password in everytime (cant be scripted)

patrickkuah
Level 6

The client is already MSI, no need to tranform or do anything. See this technote....http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302430, deploy to computer instead to users or groups.

Nicola_Rositani
Level 5
It's not easy to implemented, but if you don't have admin right you can use sudowin at http://sourceforge.net/projects/sudowin

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Hi can definitely deploy it with GPO and SCCM.
We are using SCE 2007, and it works out of the box with the standard MSI.

As Patrick mentioned, are you deploying to the computers or to the users?
You should deploy to computers.

Cheers

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

patrickkuah
Level 6
if you deploy at Computer Level, it uses the System account to install :) the rights is there automatically....

cheers!

MichelZ
Level 6
Hi

Do you need any more information here?
If not, and you are satisfied with a provided answer, can you choose this as Solution, please?

Thanks & Regards
Michel

Selltekk
Level 3
We are deploying via GPO as a computer policy (not user policy) however we get no outlook controls for the EV....we are trying to deploy EV 8 

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
So what happens on a test client ... ?

Do you have the binaries installed after the push out ?  When Outlook starts are seeing the normal registry keys created ?  Is there any EV client log file generated ?
Working for cloudficient.com

MichelZ
Level 6
Just to be sure.... The particular User is enabled in Enterprise Vault, correct?

Cheers

Selltekk
Level 3
 Ok, I got it to deploy with the outlook controls on my PC.  However, after that proof of concept, I uninstalled the EV from my PC, then took myself out of the administrator's group, and did a gpupdate /force.  Now I don't have the outlook controls in outlook.

Is there a cleaner program for EV?  One that will completely remove all vestiges of EV from my system so I can get the controls back?

Andy_Lukens
Level 5
We've been successfully using SCCM to deploy the EV add-in for Outlook for a couple of years.  With an EV8 upgrade upcoming, I would like to upgrade the clients which are currently a mix of 7.0 SPx and 2007 SP2. 

The problem with upgrading the client in past tests has been that the client is loaded with Outlook and Outlook is always running, which means that you can't upgrade without a reboot.  What methods have people used in the past to upgrade clients with minimal end-user impact?

Thanks

Selltekk
Level 3
 I found a solution to my issue here:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/281827.htm

For outlook 2007 you have to fix it via the trust center...