cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV Client - Outllook disconnected

giuliod
Level 5

Hi,

We have an issue with the EV Outlook client, where we cannot open the archived items in Outlook after coming online from a disconnected state. The workaround is to restart the Outlook. 

Do you know whether this is because of the client plugin which need to be reinitialized again or there might be an issue?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Well, the way that the Outlook Add-in works is that it asks Outlook for the connection method/mode.

The answer it gets back is something like :

Cached

Cached Disconnected, etc.

(You can look up the full list on MSDN, or on my blog).

What Outlook doesn't tell the Add-in is whether or not RPC/HTTP, aka Outlook Anywhere, is in use, ie whether or not HTTP is in use.

Since Outlook doesn't tell us (there is no API for it) the Outlook Add-in looks through the registry for the users email profile.  It looks for particular parts of that Outlook profile which indicate whether Outlook Anywhere *could* be used.  If it is found, then it will drop back to 'lite', aka HTTP functionality.

This means it will use HTTP to connect to the EV server, rather than DCOM.

Now that shouldn't be a problem with regards to Outlook 2010, since all of the operations for that are HTTP anyway.

So..  the fact remains that 'something' is going wrong when the attempt is made to download and display the item.. without looking at the full log I can't tell you whether it's the downloading of the item, or the displaying of the item.

One thing to perhaps look at is whether your EV Desktop policy has any RPC/HTTP restrictions set, though, I'm not sure that would have any effect at this point in the Add-in.

In the end it's tricky to diagnose without looking at the log, and discussing it via that.

Working for cloudficient.com

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
What version of windows, outlook and EV client are you using? A client trace would be good
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

I'm sure that we have had some versions of this issue in the past.. so I agree with JW2, what is the version information you can provide (along with a client log, ideally)

giuliod
Level 5

Hi - it is Outlook 2010 and EV10. :)

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Okay ...  and have you got a client trace?

giuliod
Level 5

Hi Rob,

Sorry for delays, unfortunately I cannot share it due to security considerations. 

Howerver the only error I can see within the client dtrace is this: "CShortcutItem::Display...Return Last Failed error: 0x80004005"

The message we are getting is on Outlook is "The webserver is available but is not correctly configured for EnterpriseVault"

We are facing this issue when a client machine gets disconnected from the network and then, reconnecting againg, we need to restart the outlook in order to be able to open an archived item.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

hmm could be several reasons unfortunately..  I'd suggest opening a support call with Symantec Support, and then discussing it with them (and sharing the client log with them)

giuliod
Level 5

Hello,

We have found that when Outlook reconnects it uses HTTP instead of TCP/IP to connect to Exchange.

We have configured Outlook Anywhere on Exchange, but not published the EV externally yet as we only have a few users using connecting from outside the LAN and they are not yet enabled fro archiving.

Although Outlook Anywhere is configured it should only be used ouside the LAN and should not be used automatically when coming back from a network problem, right? Any thoughts?

Thanks a lot.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Well, the way that the Outlook Add-in works is that it asks Outlook for the connection method/mode.

The answer it gets back is something like :

Cached

Cached Disconnected, etc.

(You can look up the full list on MSDN, or on my blog).

What Outlook doesn't tell the Add-in is whether or not RPC/HTTP, aka Outlook Anywhere, is in use, ie whether or not HTTP is in use.

Since Outlook doesn't tell us (there is no API for it) the Outlook Add-in looks through the registry for the users email profile.  It looks for particular parts of that Outlook profile which indicate whether Outlook Anywhere *could* be used.  If it is found, then it will drop back to 'lite', aka HTTP functionality.

This means it will use HTTP to connect to the EV server, rather than DCOM.

Now that shouldn't be a problem with regards to Outlook 2010, since all of the operations for that are HTTP anyway.

So..  the fact remains that 'something' is going wrong when the attempt is made to download and display the item.. without looking at the full log I can't tell you whether it's the downloading of the item, or the displaying of the item.

One thing to perhaps look at is whether your EV Desktop policy has any RPC/HTTP restrictions set, though, I'm not sure that would have any effect at this point in the Add-in.

In the end it's tricky to diagnose without looking at the log, and discussing it via that.