Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV email Item archiving processes

KeirL
Level 6
Partner

Hi

I'm not really sure how to ask this question without rambling on too much :o)

But essentially I'm trying to find out the stages and the sequence of those stages that an EV server will take to fully index and archive an email from exchange. My purpose here is to find out what scenario's may arrive should an EV server suffer a failure mid-way through emailing an item and how it would recover that item.

The kind of info I'm after is something along the lines of:

email Item sent to archive message queue (eg A5) - if EV suddenly fails at this point all the queues are flushed and item not archived

else the Item moves from queue into EV temp folder and converted to HTML - if EV fails at this stage item is not archived 

else an Entry is made in Vault Store database - if EV fails here a discrepancy will exist between Vault Store database and Vault store partition - EVSR needs to be run to sort this out

next Item enters SIS process and fingerprint database updated - If EV fails after this, then again EVSR needed to sort out

Item written to Vault store and archive of item is complete but not indexed - if EV fails then item shortcut is not updated to pending and EV will attempt to re-archive the same item on next run - searches on this item will not return any results.

Item is indexed - if EV fails during idexing process EV will not update index but item complete the archive process however search actions will return no results.

Does that make sense? 

perhaps the answer to my query is as simple as "As the shortcut is not updated until all the archive process and indexing processes have completed and therefore nothing really matters as until the shortcut is updated the item will always be reattempted for archive as it is still an ipm.note message class"

thanks in advance to anyone who can understand what I'm on about :o)

cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I think this is what you are looking for.

General Storage Process Flow

Article:HOWTO84800  |  Created: 2013-06-13  |  Updated: 2013-06-13  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO84800

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I think this is what you are looking for.

General Storage Process Flow

Article:HOWTO84800  |  Created: 2013-06-13  |  Updated: 2013-06-13  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO84800

KeirL
Level 6
Partner

Hi Tony

That's a good doc and more informative than the one that I was reading through.

But where does Indexing figure in all this? is it done after the item has been fully archived as a completely seperate process? and should the EV server fail before indexing of an item is attempted\completed is  how does EV re-run the indexing process on items that were missed? Is there some housekeeping that EV does to check it's indexes against the items it has in the Vault store DBs?

Does it create an error log if an item doesn't get indexed? I'm a little unsure with an environment that relies a lot on searches that some items may not get indexed and no-one would know.

thanks

KL

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited

Hi,

Indexing happens seperately from archviing, so even if an item fails to be indexed in some way it can still be archived.  When an item fails to be indexed then EV will log an error, in addition if you do searches(i think depending upon the search interface you are using) it will say the index is incomplete,it will do this whether there are items missing or if the index is simply 'behind' archiving so a little out of date, in addition to this the index administration UI in the EV administration console will report there are items missing in the index and lets you 'repair' them and EV will try and reinsert the items back into the index.

All in all, EV is very comprehensive in terms of the index, we learnt a painful lesson and learnt it very well!

Mike