cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV services failed to start after move EV partition

JadeOng
Level 3

Our current EV partition / store is expanding and need to move it to a new storage device.

We have already copied the following folders from the existing SAN storage (H drive) to the new SAN storage (F drive).

DiscoverySearch, eDiscovery, Enterprise Valut Stores

The EV services failed to start after we renamed the existing SAN storage to I drive and the new SAN storage to H drive.

The directory service is still pointing to the old SAN storage (now I drive).

5 REPLIES 5

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Did you update SQL?

Did you follow this technote: 

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

what's the difference between your two posts? https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/move-ev-partition-database

JadeOng
Level 3

It's the same case.

Previous post was asking if we can proceed to step 2 without having to wait for the count = 0.

We didn't update the SQL, because we have assigned the same drive letter (H) to the new SAN before we restart the services. Logically, the system should be accessing the new H drive and not the old SAN (which is being assigned as I drive).

Ben_Watts
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Jade,

You are correct, if the Drive letter is the same then EV should be looking at the new drive.

The other thing to check is the EXACT path, ensure that the new location has the exact same path as the old location (Location specified in SQL).

Even if there is a single character/space/subfolder different EV will fail to start and throw an error.

You can run Dtrace as you are starting the services to see which Partition EV is having problems with.

To ensure the path in SQL is correct simply copy the path from SQL for the Partitions/Vault Store which has/have been moved, paste it into a Run command on the EV Server and see if you can browse to it.

If you need to alter that path in any way shape or form to be able to browse to it from Windows Explorer then you need to update SQL to reflect the new location correctly, or alter the new location/path to match that value in SQL exactly.

Ben_Watts
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hi Jade,

Did you manage to sort this issue or did you still need help on it?