cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV8 - c-drive filled up with tmp files

MortenMadsen
Level 3

I have just installed EV8 for testing and tried archiving 200gb of file data (copy of production data). The policy used, archives all files larger than 1mb. This is only done for testing, in production another policy will be used.

When archive is running it fills up the c-drive rather quickly. A lot of *.tmp files are created in c:\documents and setting\<username>\Local settings\temp. Reading previous post indicates that these are memory mapped files used during document conversion , is there anyway to make EV clean up or not make these files in the first place?

The archiving got stuck when 156gb had been archived, because 56gb .tmp files wore created on the c-drive.

Seeing that I'm about to use this system to archive 20tb data, this will pose a problem :)

System

EV8 (only used for file archiving)

Windows 2003 R2 SP2

4gb memory

10 REPLIES 10

EV_Guru
Level 4
Partner

This tmp files were normally delteted after the archiving was successfull. In your case you can prevent the data conversion of html preview for the web view of the archivied items. This is a reg key in the registry documentation of EV.

Another good workaround is to set the tmp environments on different harddisks then the c: drive. Then the archiving process won't stuck anymore...

www.longerich.com

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited

Hi,

Can you tell me how many of these files you have, what their names looks like and total size.

MortenMadsen
Level 3

@The Dodo wrote:

Hi,

Can you tell me how many of these files you have, what their names looks like and total size.

When archiving the 200gb volume, I got around 2500 files before the c-drive ran out of space. Sadly I don't have the file sizes, because I have started a new test.

At the moment I'm doing another test run on a different volume (1.1 tb of data). The archiving is still running (manuel run), so far 73gb have been archived and 2225 *.tmp files have been created in the "local settings\temp" folder. Most of them are between 4mb and 50mb, 2 of them are 4.8gb.

I have directory listing of the tmp files if you want to see it?

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited

Hi,

yes I'd be interested in at least seeing some of the file names as that gives me an idea of what's creating them.  2000 files seems a lot to be hanging around.

EV_Guru
Level 4
Partner

You can use the Admin Service Reg Key to deleting the tmp files when the archiving process is done:

DelFileTypes
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
\Software
\KVS
\Enterprise Vault
\AdminService

For example ~*.tmp

This will clean up the system...

www.longerich.com

MortenMadsen
Level 3

@The Dodo wrote:

Hi,

yes I'd be interested in at least seeing some of the file names as that gives me an idea of what's creating them.  2000 files seems a lot to be hanging around.

Hi Dodo

Here is the directory listing in a txt file

http://rapidshare.com/files/186455493/list.txt.html

MortenMadsen
Level 3

@EV Guru wrote:

You can use the Admin Service Reg Key to deleting the tmp files when the archiving process is done:

DelFileTypes
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
\Software
\KVS
\Enterprise Vault
\AdminService

For example ~*.tmp

This will clean up the system...

www.longerich.com

Thanks for the tip, the reg key stops the c-drive filling up, but it is a little weird that these files are created if they are never used.

What is really weird is, that these files is also created on recalls.

NickF
Level 3
Partner
Did anyone ever come back on this?

I have the same problem - IE my the Temp directory in the EV Service account's profile filling with thousands of ~DFxxxx.tmp files whilst archiving a large volume.

So far my C:\ drive has filled 3 times during the archive, causing me no end of problems.

I don't archive the C:\ drive of the server, so will the Reg key changes work for me?

Surely this is a bug?

Nick

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Nick I think the registry key will work for you. Cheers Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

Frank_Beck
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified
Check out this technote:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/305058.htm

There are two registry keys to set here:

DelFileTypes and DelFilesOlderThanHours

Set the DelFilesOlderThanHours key to 0 to enable immediate deletion of the .tmp files once they are no longer in use.

Cheers,

Frank