Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EVDominoExporter commands works .. but!

BoTho
Level 5
Partner

Hello again ..

Problems with the command is solved and export seems to work fine but!

There are no problems to export from archive to users "name.nsf" but in Notes Client there are still all archived mail marked as archived!

I'm not so familier with Lotus Notes and cannot find any information about what's happens in Notes Clients!

Greatful for any suggestion ..

Regards

/Bo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Paul_Honey
Level 5
Employee Accredited

Bo,

So, by the sounds of it, you are happy that EVDominoExporter has put a copy of all the items that were originally archived back into the user's mail file, with the correct folder / view locations etc but you now have a 'duplicate' shortcut item for each?

And Shortcut Deletion does not appear to be working in your environment? To troubleshoot that, we'd need to review the settings you have for shortcut deletion, Dtrace of the EVLotusDominoArchivingTask and probably remote access to your mail file itslef to understand why the shortcuts are not being sucecssfully targetted. I.e. a support case is required, but feel free to post the data here too and the case number so I can assist the Support team as necessary

As this is not a mass restore of many users, and you mention that you are currently working on test users / data though, the quickest and most efficient method for removing the shortcuts from a mail file is to manually delete them

The logic is the same as my suggestion to perform mass restores on a mail file by mail file basis in the previous post that I referenced

First you need to create a new view in each mail file (select Create\View on the menu bar), base it on the Inbox design, and set view selection criteria so that the view contains only shortcut items (SELECT EV_Flags="ShortCut")

If you then open that view, it should contain only the shortcut items in the mail files, so you can manually select all the documents in it, and delete them

DISCLAIMER: I do have reservations though on any process such as this to try and 'mimic' rollback functionality as they cannot be guaranteed to produce a 100% fidelity recreation of the mail file and its data prior to archiving, as neither the EVDominoExporter.exe, Shortcut Deletion or manual deletion activity of shortcuts were designed with this specific goal in mind, and equally a lot happens to a mail file and its data through the archiving lifecycle that may ultimately cause undesirable discrepancies in data with such a home-grown rollback process. Hence why I will repeat that mail file rollback / NSF Export akin to PST Export is a missing 'tool' in the EV for Domino suite that really needs an enhancement request and business justification / $$$$ to encourage Product Management to consider it.

If your use case really is just trying different archiving policies in a test environment with a static dataset, then I would suggest taking a backup of the mail file NSF prior to any EV archiving and simply deleting the archive then replacing the NSF file on the Domino server with the backup to allow different policy testing scenarios 

Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

The Exporter exports the archived items, it doesn't remove them from the archive.

What is it exactly you want to do?  If you want to just remove the short cuts you could just find the shortcuts and delete them.

BoTho
Level 5
Partner

Hi ..

We want to export all archived items back to users mailboxes(NSF) and delete all Ev archives ..

Change archiving policy and start up archiving again!

So far it's only testusers ...

Plan to do the same for 8 users in productuction env. .. if we success in test ..

Finally archive all mail users with new policy ..

yep

TonySterling

Ok, so I think you could set the Shortcut Deletion to all shortcuts older than 1 day.  Apply that policy and let it run or do a run now.

Then use the Domino Export to restore the items back. 

Change your archive policy and start again.

If you want a really clean start then you can delete the old archive, zap the domino profile and then you are starting from scratch.

BoTho
Level 5
Partner

I've run Shortcut Deletion for > 1 day and the log report says xx numbers was deleted but Shortcuts are still visible in the Notes Client ..

Nothing happens with shortcuts in Notes Clients mbx:s!

The EVDominoExporter works fine and source mail files size  grows as it shuld ..

TonySterling

Is this still an issue?  Could be they are still in the local copy but removed from the server copy?

You might need to open a call with support if the shortcuts are not being removed when the report says it is.

Paul_Honey
Level 5
Employee Accredited

Bo,

Did you see this recent thread and my response?

http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/restore-all-archived-data-one-user-back-domino-server

Full 'rollback' of a Domino archived mail file is not functionality that we currently have, and we certainly do not match the capabilities of PST export.

The methods you are exploring using EVDominoExporter and Shortcut Deletion may get you close to a solution but is not something we could guarantee to always produce a full rollback as they are not designed for that purpose.

As I mention in my reply to the thread above

'Ultimately the functionality you are looking for is an enhancement request so I would recommend you flag that to your Symantec sales team if you have a justifiable business use case, but if this is a specific localized issue / scenario (i.e. only one or two users) that rollback can help resolve, it may be worth also opening a support case and asking that it get escalated to Engineering, as we may be able to assist with some other means to automate such a rollback if the use case is justifiable.'

Regards

Paul

BoTho
Level 5
Partner

yes .. it's still an issue ..

I'll check with support ..

BoTho
Level 5
Partner

Hi Paul ..

I've been away for awhile but now I'm back in business and bring up this case again ..

It's all about 8 users and we want to export all their archived items back to DB's and start over with a new Archiving Policy!

Archiving works fine!

EVExporter works fine too and runs with almost no errors(DB:s are checked with Domino tools) ..

EV Task for Shortcut deletion does not work and Shortcuts are still visible in the Note Client after many runs ..

Elapsed time for a Shortcut Deletion = 0 sec

We need some help with Shorcut Deletions!

regards

/Bo

Paul_Honey
Level 5
Employee Accredited

Bo,

So, by the sounds of it, you are happy that EVDominoExporter has put a copy of all the items that were originally archived back into the user's mail file, with the correct folder / view locations etc but you now have a 'duplicate' shortcut item for each?

And Shortcut Deletion does not appear to be working in your environment? To troubleshoot that, we'd need to review the settings you have for shortcut deletion, Dtrace of the EVLotusDominoArchivingTask and probably remote access to your mail file itslef to understand why the shortcuts are not being sucecssfully targetted. I.e. a support case is required, but feel free to post the data here too and the case number so I can assist the Support team as necessary

As this is not a mass restore of many users, and you mention that you are currently working on test users / data though, the quickest and most efficient method for removing the shortcuts from a mail file is to manually delete them

The logic is the same as my suggestion to perform mass restores on a mail file by mail file basis in the previous post that I referenced

First you need to create a new view in each mail file (select Create\View on the menu bar), base it on the Inbox design, and set view selection criteria so that the view contains only shortcut items (SELECT EV_Flags="ShortCut")

If you then open that view, it should contain only the shortcut items in the mail files, so you can manually select all the documents in it, and delete them

DISCLAIMER: I do have reservations though on any process such as this to try and 'mimic' rollback functionality as they cannot be guaranteed to produce a 100% fidelity recreation of the mail file and its data prior to archiving, as neither the EVDominoExporter.exe, Shortcut Deletion or manual deletion activity of shortcuts were designed with this specific goal in mind, and equally a lot happens to a mail file and its data through the archiving lifecycle that may ultimately cause undesirable discrepancies in data with such a home-grown rollback process. Hence why I will repeat that mail file rollback / NSF Export akin to PST Export is a missing 'tool' in the EV for Domino suite that really needs an enhancement request and business justification / $$$$ to encourage Product Management to consider it.

If your use case really is just trying different archiving policies in a test environment with a static dataset, then I would suggest taking a backup of the mail file NSF prior to any EV archiving and simply deleting the archive then replacing the NSF file on the Domino server with the backup to allow different policy testing scenarios 

Regards
Paul

BoTho
Level 5
Partner

Hi Paul ..

I was wrong about that everything went well so unfortunately I have to nag a bit more ..

It was test users created by the Notes admins who showed that everything worked fine but it was not ..

EVDominoExporter commands shows no errors when re-reading is from archives ..

With newly created archived test users .. same problem .. no re-reading to users mail files!

EVDominoExporter ran without error ..

The command we tested looks like this and re-read from the archive to users NSF files!

EVDominoExporter.exe / A "Fredric Olsen / Pax AB" / O "\ \ paxns3317 \ D $ \ services \ lotus \ domino \ data \ mail \ folsen.nsf" / I "C: \ IDfiles \ user.id" ​​/ P password

regards
/ Bo

Paul_Honey
Level 5
Employee Accredited

Bo,

Can you post DTrace of the EVDominoExporter process during such a failure

Regards

Paul

BoTho
Level 5
Partner

Paul ,,

I've opened a case with Symantec and are waiting for a call from Engineer ..

We did a couple of exports and checked what's happen in the Notes Client in realtime!

Yes .. archived items back with all data could be seen i folder All Documents but after 20 - 30 min they were back as archived items again?

hmm

DTrace file attached!

regards

/Bo

Paul_Honey
Level 5
Employee Accredited

Bo,

So, the Dtrace is not quite complete, as it has quite a lot of trace statements missing due to trace buffer overflows, but there is plenty of evidence in it of items being retrieved from storage and saved elsewhere (i.e. exported to your target). The following statement would suggest 1159 items were exported in fact which correpsonds with your real time observations, I think

892897 15:47:28.244  [7320] (EVDominoExporter) <6160> EV:M RestoreSavesets: - Number of Savesets processed : 1159

and suggests there is nothing wrong with the export process itself

You then say 'but after 20 - 30 min they were back as archived items again?'. As you are exporting directly back to a mail file that is targetted for archiving from what I can understand, the immediate question that raises for me is whether the archiving task is set on a schedule that has caused a new run or you have manually run it? If so, then it may well be simply re-archiving the restored data if it meets the archiving policy?

Regards

Paul

BoTho
Level 5
Partner

Paul ..

Schedule 06:00 PM to 06:00 AM ..

We missed that and now archiving are set to not run ..

Did a new EVDominoExporter run and now we get this error ..

Starting export...
Error: unable to create or open database '\\maxns3317\D$\services\lotus\domino\data\mail\helpdesk.nsf': (272) Denied access to datamst till data.'.
Finished.
Terminated.

Command
EVDominoExporter.exe /A "Anna Seger/Pax AB" /O "\\paxns3317\D$\services\lotus\domino\data\mail\annaseg.nsf" /I "C:\IDfiler\user.id" /P password

Have used the command before without any problems!

regards

/Bo

BoTho
Level 5
Partner

Hello again ..

Case # 04542091 opened

/Bo

Paul_Honey
Level 5
Employee Accredited

Bo

Error: unable to create or open database '\\maxns3317\D$\services\lotus\domino\data\mail\helpdesk.nsf': (272) Denied access to datamst till data.'.

would suggest dome form of access issue to the helpdesk.nsf database that it references but I would need Dtrace to understand why it is trying to access that database. To understand why it is failing, I would suggest you try to open that database using the notes client on the server that you are running these commands from as I would suspect that is some Domino / environment issue with that database

One point I would make at this time is that it appears to me that you are trying to export to these mail files by entering the OS / fully qualified filepath to that mail file database that is located on a server. Correct? This in itself is dangerous as you are trying to access a server based NSF using a client / local session, not a Domino server session, so is prone to the potential for conflict between server sessions accessing your target database and your own client / local session from EVDominoExporter.

The help for the EVDominoExporter command in utilities.pdf rather recommends that you perform such 'remote' access (as it describes it) using the Domino server name / filepath combination so that the utlity makes a client connection to and opens a session on the Domino server itself, rather than just the lcoal session that your current method invokes

Here is the help extract I am am referring to for the /O parameter

To open or create a remote database on a Domino server, specify it as in this example:

/O Server1/Sales/ACME!!Restore\dest.nsf

This parameter instructs Domino Archive Exporter to export the items to the database dest.nsf in the folder \Data\Restore on the server Server1/Sales/ACME

So, perhaps update your command accordingly (i.e. change '/O \\paxns3317\D$\services\lotus\domino\data\mail\annaseg.nsf' to '/O yourservername/yourorg!!mail\annaseg.nsf'), Dtrace and run again and if you still get the error in your previous post, check out manually via the client if helpdesk.nsf does have a non-EV related access issue your customer Domino admin can resolve and, if not, post the Dtrace here for further analysis

Regards

Paul

BoTho
Level 5
Partner

Paul ..

What do you meen with "/yourorg!!mail\"

'/O yourservername/yourorg!!mail\annaseg.nsf'

/Bo

Paul_Honey
Level 5
Employee Accredited

Bo

I mean replace them with the name of the Domino mail server and the mail file path that you are trying to target in your customer's environment

So, for instance, if your customer's Domino mail server name is MailServer1/Acme and the mail file is located on that Domino server with a Domino filepath (which is relative from the Domino server's DATA directory) of mail\jsmith.nsf, then your /O parameter would be

/O MailServer1/ACME!!mail\jsmith.nsf

I can see from how you have previously been trying to target the last mail file via the OS, that its Domino filepath (relative from the server's DATA directory) is mail\annaseg.nsf, but what I could not see in any of your previous posts was the Domino server name of the Domino mail server on which it resides

Hence why I used the 'yourservername/yourorg' terminology in the hope that you would have enough understanding of Domino to realise it needed to be replaced with the relevant info from your customer environment. My apologies if that was confusing

Regards

Paul

LarryW
Level 2
Employee

Hello Bo,

It looks like you still need help with EVDominoExporter.  The last statement by you in the case says that it is now working for you and to check back next week.  Paul's answer above will work for you.  You probably have already noticed this but worth noting, if you type EVDominoExporter /? you would get the help screen showing similar example also.

If you have more questions also feel free to contact me by replying back to case 04542091.  We can do a webex then and work more directly with each of your issues.

Thank you,

Larry